Rate Thread
#77117 01/29/01 01:00 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I'm trying to improve our staff training program. Does anyone have suggestions or speakers brought in to your camp that were wonderful?

#77118 01/31/01 02:14 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
as a head counselor at a boys summer camp in maine we find that our training session not only informs counselors of their responsibilties but also build freindships and bonds. we try to make everything fun, because noone wants to sit in meetings all day. we may play a baseball game, while doing so, we try to show the counselors how periods are to be run and so on. our one week orientation session is carefully scripted but with fun in mind. try to incorporate games and group exercises in your training. also, maybe a staff field trip? try it... i cound not hurt.

#77119 02/01/01 09:50 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
check out resources form Michael Brandwein, and Bob Ditter....both have written books full of great ideas, and approaches to staff training...you should be able to get their books from ACA bookstore; also, if you get a chance to go to a national conference, or tri-state, you may attend a seminar or two on staff training...if either of the men mentioned above are leading seminars, go to them, you won't regret it.

#77120 08/02/02 09:02 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I like the way my director runs our staff training. We run it to the same schedule we run camp. We do all of the activities that our kids would do, and learn how to teach them. If a returning counselor taught canoeing frequently during the previous summer, they are generally allowed to teach the canoeing training. Same with Archery, Swimming, Horses, etc. The only actual bookwork we did was a couple hours every afternoon. Not bad at all really.

-Joe

J
jbalto31
Unregistered
jbalto31
Unregistered
J
Joe- I have been reading these posts- I am a Certified Nurtured Heart Trainer. I work with parents and teachers in dealing with spirited behaviors in children and turning these behaviors around. This is the only approach that has worked with me and my family. It works so well that I train the school district, the juvenile justice system, camp counselors, the police dept, foster parents, pta groups and any parents dealing with challenging children. You can look at my site for more information, or I would be happy to discuss a counselor training. www.gettingback2greatness.com

Thanks!

Julie Katz
Certified Nurtured Heart Trainer
702-461-0749
Julie@gettingback2greatness.com

Moderated by  tom 

Link Copied to Clipboard