Rate Thread
#102017 01/29/09 11:14 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
We are currently in the process of building a residential cabin for our Camp Manager. I am looking for information on policies and procedures as it relates to housing as well as if other camps charge fees or rent. Do you charge just rent, just utilities, or both. If anyone has any other examples or suggestions, please let me know.
Thanks

#102020 01/29/09 04:10 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I can tell you that I am a Y Camp Director and I am provided a house to live in rent and utility free. This is a great perk of my job!

#102021 01/29/09 06:26 PM
L
150 to 200 posts
150 to 200 posts
L
The camp I work with brings in their seasonal Directors/Admin staff in as early as a month before staff training for the Day Camp and Over Night Director. Staff like the Waterfront, LIT, and CIT Director come in about 2 weeks before staff training.

This gives the staff allot of time to plan and bond together. It make them come across as a much more gelled together team to the rest of the staff. This also made for one of the best planed out summers I have ever seen. With the least amount of issues and stress threw out the summer of any year I have worked at a camp.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Hi rcprt,

I have worked at 5 camps and only one of the camps that I worked at charged rent. That was a Y camp. The professional staff didn't mind it since their pay was good and the rent was fairly low for the area the camp was in. However, there was a lot of "Why am I paying this much for a crummy 1 bedroom cabin when that person is paying $50 more for a 2 bedroom loft with state of the art appliances?"

The others camps I worked for did not charge rent or utilities, and I agree with JCB that it's a wonderful perk of the job, and necessary if the camp requires the person to live on-site.

Two of the camps that I worked for actually paid a stipend if you lived off-site. These camps obviously didn't charge rent for on-site employees.

Many camps are in the middle of nowhere. This means off-site housing can be a bit of a problem, especially if you live in a place that snows. Having staff on site 24/7 is great for a camp, especially a Camp Manager. If the power goes down, a plumbing issue arises, the snow needs to be plowed, or there's an emergency it's nice to have a Camp Manager on-site and on-call.

If I was required to pay rent I would definately live off-site or find another camp to work at. Camp pay is low as it is and I don't want to be penalized for being available at any time of the day by living on site.

Which brings up the issue of pay. If you are paying a Camp Manager above the normal salary for that position then I suppose its okay to charge for rent if they have the option to live off-site.

Moderated by  tom 

Link Copied to Clipboard