Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 14 of 28 1 2 12 13 14 15 16 27 28
M
More than 3,000 posts
More than 3,000 posts
M
That sounded good

PM me if you want to sign up for the camp buddies for this summmer.
More than 3,000 posts
More than 3,000 posts
Some of the staff last summer moved the entire dining hall (approx 20 tables) down to the field next to the dining hall. We had breakfast in the meadow (the field) that morning, and the lifeguards did some silly things as the lifeguard chairs were also over there. The only problem is that it was actually a colder morning, but it turned out ok. It was pretty fun!

One of my counselors like 5 years ago actually convinced a camper that her real name is Bert (her camp name)! The camper didn't believe her for a while, but I guess she finally won her over!

"I'm always pretty happy when I'm at camp with you!"
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I like that - moving the dinning hall - not something we could have done at my camp though cos the dinning hall was 1/4 mile away from the field!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
magoo- playing tricks on the wits is not nice. gosh.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
And u never played tricks on the CIT?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Someone did that dining hall reversal thing at Cedarledge once, too. I wasn't there for it, but Speckles told me about it.

M
More than 3,000 posts
More than 3,000 posts
M
Dining hall reversal?? What did you guys do- move the dining hall or something?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
me personally, no. wits- went table flipping

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
We had people do that at chenoa too - and take all of the tables outside and stack them up in pretty patterns, and other times they have hidden the staff benches which go at the head and foot of each table.

What happened once and it wasnt as much of a prank as being mean and intolerant and luckily happened during a session break so the kids didnt know - was that 2 live-ins were put in my cabin - but one of them couldnt stand the other - so they took all her stuff and put it in another cabin - one that wasnt going to have campers in it - it caused major friction in the unit. Infact as unit leader I was the one who had to speak to ad staff about it cos the girl whose stuff was moved stormed off in a strop (understandibly) and the others were all thinking that what they did wasnt that wrong! It was a nightmare situation and caused alot of tension in the cabin!

M
More than 3,000 posts
More than 3,000 posts
M
I could imange it would cause problems with some people

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Our general rule is not to mess with campers personal stuff -- and 99.9% of people keep anyone but CITs and (A)WITs out of any pranking.

However, we do have issues with campers messing with each others stuff. One year a girl threw another girl's backpack and riding boots down the ET.

I had a group of campers that were just good kids indvidually - but the group dynamics were bad. I got back from an Urgent Care visit for a burn and was told my unit needed help immediately, so I went back (since it was cook-out night, I figured the fire was slow to start or something). Turns out tent had been trashed...I mean shampoo and conditioner and toothpaste covering everything, clothes torn and destroyed, stuff cut up, etc. It was BAD! So I talked to the two girls it had happened to - they were cleaning. And I sat our girls down and apparently put quite a bit of fear in them because one came up to me about 2 minutes later and told me who had done it. It was girls who lived in the tent that had been destroyed. Apparently during a storm the girls (who did the trashing) gave stickers to the the other two to comfort them - but expected to get the stickers back and when the stickers weren't returned....she decided to destroy their things. CRAZY!

More than 3,000 posts
More than 3,000 posts
that's crazy! I guess I am lucky that I haven't had anything anywhere near that severity happen with my group's dynamics!! wow!

"I'm always pretty happy when I'm at camp with you!"
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Nor have I although last summer I had to do three verbal contracts in one day - 2 with the same girl!

We are also not allowed to touch campers stuff - or staffs - but that doesnt seem to bother some people cos they do it anyway! Some people decided to prank me by stealing my rubber chicken and hidding - what they didnt realise is that I have it there cos I use it with the girls and I actually had to change what we were doing cos it was missing - was not impressed!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
As far as pranking staff individually...it's kind of a grey area. One year a staff member had a blow up shark named Bruce and we all took turns stealing it and hiding it in areas around camp and people picked a side to be on. The girl who owned it was a good sport and led her team and such. It was really funny and kept the summer really interesting.

However, I can see where taking something that was to be used for a camp activity or taking something that was personal would cause some problems. People need to be careful and think about what they're doing. One year some staff members took a huge, paper mache dragon our A&C director had created and placed it on the roof of the lodge our CITs stay in. And the A&C director was very upset because she had made it and it took quite a bit of time. And while many people found it funny - she certainly didn't. It was part of our Masquerade Ball all-camp. So people really need to take everything into consideration before pranking.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I would agree with that - and if that had taken something like my book or teddy bear I wouldnt have been as annoyed - but Fred is there to be used by the campers and when you schedule to play chuck the chicken and you cant find the chicken it is a bit of a problem!

I can see why the A&C director would have been upset but it does sound like it was funny - but imagine if it had rained before they could get it down - all that work would have been ruined!

I think it is just a case of using your judgement.

I mean at the camp I was at before Chenoa - we werent allowed into other cabins without permission cos someone had complained that someone had been in there cabin - that someone only been in their cabin to leave a secret buddy gift and note on their bed - so I think that was silly reason to complain!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
We do secret buddies as well -- it's one of my favorite parts of summer!! I like to buy gifts and sneak them into mailboxes or have them delivered randomly. And getting a gift/card can totally brighten a bad day at camp.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Secret buddies is one of my fav parts 2 - I have done all sorts of fun things - such as hiding messages in their units kitchen box, taped to the inside of the units bathroom, in the mail box, and gifts on the cabin door step or mail box. I used to try and leave something everyday - even if it was a just an inspirational quote!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
My favourite thing is makeing the end of summer gifts!

M
More than 3,000 posts
More than 3,000 posts
M
We never did that.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
what secret buddies or making the end of summer gift?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I didn't have time at the end to get something for my secret buddy cos she was leaving early. So I ran all the way to the waterfront and back to lift her tag from the buddy board for her during the staff party.

She got the meaning behind it so it worked out for the best.

Secret buddies are awesome!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
bubby tags are the best gift - especially if you have an assigned one with your name on it!

I adopted a second one half way through the summer cos she joined as a CIT intern and was feeling a bit left out - but she left the same time as the camper so I didnt have time to finish her gift so the CD posted it to her!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I found the buddy tag necklace I made at camp last time hiding behind the wood cookies. The lifeguards kinda had access to the blank tags (every camper got their own so there was PILES of blank tags).

YAY for buddy boards!

Boo Campsick.... \:\(

M
More than 3,000 posts
More than 3,000 posts
M
end of camp gift-- I did secert buddies thought at my first camp but it wasnt done at my last camp.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
My last camp didnt have a buddy board - all campers had a number (or letter) and they had to count off and the counsellor had to count off for any who had left the waterfront! but main idea had one - kids were supposed to flip as the came onto the waterfront but there were 2 paths to beach and only one board!

Page 14 of 28 1 2 12 13 14 15 16 27 28

Moderated by  tom 

Link Copied to Clipboard