Rate Thread
#102018 01/29/09 11:15 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
We are currently in the process of building a residential cabin for our Camp Manager. I am looking for information on policies and procedures as it relates to housing as well as if other camps charge fees or rent. Do you charge just rent, just utilities, or both. If anyone has any other examples or suggestions, please let me know.
Thanks

#102019 01/29/09 03:39 PM
L
150 to 200 posts
150 to 200 posts
L
The last 2 camps I work at give free housing. They usually charge utilities for things such as electric and heat. Well including water and septic for free since it was connected to the camp well and septic system.

I would recommend that you try to make it as a relaxing places as you can. Camp managers work very hard and a well rested manager is a productive manager. I firmly believer of top down leadership in all areas of camp. If the director/manager is happy and enjoying his job so will the staff.

#102521 03/10/09 11:23 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Here's a long reply to your simple question...

In my job I live at camp, and the house is part of the deal. I don't pay any portion of the basic utilities (gas and electric) and appliances are provided (obviously I could replace them if it was a big deal to have something fancy, but basic and fully functional appliances are provided). Cable TV and a private phone are not provided, but camp phone lines run though the house, and a calling card for long distance is all thats needed.

There are tax issues related to living in a location that is for the benefit of the employer and not optional (no choice to take salary increase instead of on-site housing). This kind of "non income" from the benefit of a house isn't taxable for social security or as income. I wasn't clear on this so I talked to someone really helpful at the IRS a few years ago who confirmed this is the case. Previously I was under the impression it should be taxable for social security, but unfortunately no. This situation is different for clergy in this situation. Anyone with questions should just call the IRS directly, because the "word on the street" that I was hearing just wasn't correct.

Still there's a value (housing allowance) which is important, because this may add to the salary to become the rate used for retirement and benefit plans. If the "housing allowance" is another 30% of someone's salary, that's going to add up over time into pension and matching 403B plans. This is really an important consideration for the employee looking to someday retire from a relatively low paying job and having no home equity. It is important to set a reasonable housing allowance in this way, so that retirement is better matched up to standard of living, not a lesser value.

If you choose to charge rent, I don't see that as being advantageous for your employee. They will pay all taxes on that as earned income only to then pay it back to your organization. Are you giving them a choice to live in this housing, or is it a condition of employment? Probably it isn't optional, given you're building a new home.

The house at this camp is a spartan. Hardwood and stone floors, white plaster walls, stained trim, brick fireplace. It was built in 1955 and looks like it. It isn't very energy efficient, so I would be hard pressed to pay the gas bill, but it has been maintained well enough and is comfortable. Sure, it could be better, but it is more than satisfactory as it is.

Thankfully, the ranger before me did a great job repainting, and no one has ever remodeled the basic plan into whatever the taste of the year was. This is how it should be. Some camp housing that I've seen appears as if "anything goes" was the approach, and that results in strange colors of carpet, fast and cheap remodeling, fancy looking but low end plumbing and light fixtures, peeling paint, etc.

The house should be classy, high quality, but basic. Plan ahead for someone who might have disabilities to live there, and make the hallways wide and the entrances at grade. I have a home office and I think it is essential, so design a separate entrance into a home office with its own little parking area, sidewalk, signage, etc. Even if you have an office at camp, it is always the case that camp guests, police, the phone company, or whoever will show up at the house at all hours, and it is very nice to have a small office to chat with those people, rather than have them at the front door or in the private residence.

It's a great experience to live at camp full time, even if it isn't for everybody. But I never forget that it is a temporary arrangement. It used to be that people thought it was a bad deal not to own a house, but with this recession and housing market problems, it is looking better all the time! ;-)

Last edited by cmpranger; 03/11/09 01:06 AM.
#102657 03/17/09 02:56 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I also live on site. I am charged for rent, everything included. I do not have my own phone line.

#104832 04/02/09 08:22 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
In my case the housing is factored as part of the compensation package. When you both live and work at camp the commute is just the best! However, the hours can be killer.

Our mansion is whole 800 sqft, and that was after we converted the carport into a living room! Spartan is a good way to describe it. But I don't work at camp for the housing perks anyway. Would I love to have a bigger house? Sure! Most people wouldn't turn down an extra closet.

What I miss most is not having a garage or anyway to protect my personal vehicle from the elements. Other than that, I can't complain.

Not having to worry about a house/utility payment helps more than just financially. It helps me balance the long work hours and stay focused on making camp a success.

Moderated by  tom 

Link Copied to Clipboard