Rate Thread
#77049 11/01/06 03:54 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I'm a senior in high school and know i want a career in camp managment. Right now im in a hospitality course where we learn business and do rounds at a hotel for a year. We did front desk, sales, accounting, kitchen and many other things. This year I decided to emphasize on working with students, so I intern everday as an elementary PE teacher. I volunteer at camps over the summer and love it. I know im taking the right steps, but i dont know what to do next. I plan on majoring in recreation managment or hospitality administration at Stephen F. Austin State University.

#77050 12/14/06 05:53 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
If you want to move into camp administration it would be beneficial to gain some experience in finance (budgets, grant writing) and marketing. Also helpful to have an interest in employment law/practises.
Research internships, there are many camps now that will hire interns so you can gain your credits and get real hands on experience -invaluable!
You could also join ECP (emerging camp professionals) or AYP (association of YMCA professionals) you'll find them full of young people with a similar goal to yours.

#106591 04/28/09 11:28 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I would suggest that you look into the degree in Recreation Management. I am currently majoring in Recreation and Leisure management and I am finding the courses that I am taking very useful in my current work with camps. I plan to be an activities director at a camp someday. The thing to remember with the camping field is to get lots of experience. That is what will get you the jobs.

Moderated by  tom 

Link Copied to Clipboard