Rate Thread
#77036 06/02/06 01:58 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I'm going to be a new Head Counselor this year. Most of the staff is going to be new, and thehrefore not know each other. I want the staff to be able to work well together, depend on each other, and most importantly get along. However, I only have 2-3 days before camp starts to make them all friends. Does anyone have any suggestions for activities, etc to accomplish this? Thanks.

#77037 06/05/06 01:53 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Do lots and lots of Team building games...They are great fun, help them bond and they can use most of the same games with the campers during the Summer! If you want specifics then PM me and I will give you more ideas!

Misty

#77038 12/14/06 05:57 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
We hire staff from all over the world so I started a Yahoo group page and invited them all to join. It was a great way for them to get to know each other before they arrived at camp.

#77039 04/09/07 04:49 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I agree to do lots and lots of team building. You can find alot on the internet. I have a few on my computer if you would like me to send them to you I would be happy to. I was a new program director last year and worried about the same thing with my counseling staff. We had training all together. Had them meet each other and live together the first day. I was lucky. They all got along. Bottom line: You may have counselors that are not going to like each other. You can not force to people to like each other. I just hope they can at least work together.

#81121 11/28/07 07:26 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Be careful about "Making them all friends." Give them something to belong to, share the history of the site or program with them, let them know how important communication is, and offer a proactive method for resolving conflict before it rises too far. Think positive and like WLSC said, "just hope they can at least work together." If you can bring them together after the first week or so and let them know how well you think they are working together, they might just think so too \:\) Give a call if you want more ideas about creating a positive SENSE OF BELONGING.

Ethan Erickson
503-481-7871
ethan@tsuga.org
http://www.tsuga.org

#106578 04/28/09 01:22 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I agree Team Building is key! This is a great start. If your camp has some low rope, talk to your director about maybe even utilizing thoset to get them to "Let go and be silly." That is one of the purposes of team building/low ropes. I would also say share a little of yourself. The more willing you are to let go and share about who you are, the more willing they will be to do the same. It all starts with you, let them know what you your ideas are for the summer and then ask them what they have in mind. I have been a part of camps that have the goals posted in the staff room or a common place that all of the staff will be able to see regularly.

CK

#106579 04/28/09 01:23 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I agree Team Building is key! This is a great start. If your camp has some low rope, talk to your director about maybe even utilizing thoset to get them to "Let go and be silly." That is one of the purposes of team building/low ropes. I would also say share a little of yourself. The more willing you are to let go and share about who you are, the more willing they will be to do the same. It all starts with you, let them know what you your ideas are for the summer and then ask them what they have in mind. I have been a part of camps that have the goals posted in the staff room or a common place that all of the staff will be able to see regularly.

CK

#110670 12/18/09 02:31 PM
A
Ash Offline
2 to 10 posts
2 to 10 posts
A
One method would be to use web-forums. It is useful if you have staff all over the country, and it is a great way to keep in touch. We often play different kinds of forum based games on ours.

Another method is to organize a retreat before the camp begins. Take everyone camping in the national forest or go for dinner and a movie. It gives people a chance to get to know each other.

Nothing is impossible, only implausible but even then it is still possible.

Moderated by  tom 

Link Copied to Clipboard