Page 17 of 20 1 2 15 16 17 18 19 20
#113571 05/12/10 01:48 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Oh, nice! I didn't know she was an active Girl Scout. That's really cool!

#113590 05/13/10 12:25 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
So I have to say, I'm enjoying the frequent thunder storms... I love some excitement in the sky. But it needs to stop canceling our barn days! And it also definitely needs to NOT rain this Sunday afternoon for open house!

#113592 05/13/10 12:29 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I agree for no rain on sunday... I'm graduating... it's you know... a couple hundred miles away... but still

#113599 05/13/10 02:30 AM
More than 3,000 posts
More than 3,000 posts
Congrats, Heather!

We've had great weather over here! ;\) But I don't want to jinx it, so knock on wood! \:D

Hope the weather cooperates for graduation, barn days, and open house!

"I'm always pretty happy when I'm at camp with you!"
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Thanks! Now to find a teaching job which is... next to impossible in NJ... \:\(

#113603 05/13/10 08:03 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Good luck with graduation and finding a job heather!

I love thunderstorms (unless i am in the middle of field in a metal framed tent!) but we dont really get good ones here! Infact people around about here think a BIG thunderstorm is 2 or 3 flashes of lightening and a rumble of thunder!

#113606 05/13/10 10:00 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Oh I KNOW, finding a teaching job is such a pain! Not much luck in Missouri, either! \:\( I might just end up having to do something else.

#113607 05/13/10 10:35 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Its the same here!

Indigo I know you like travelling have you looked into working at something like the american high school that used to be based in Aberdeen (dont know if it is still there) - cos there were so many americans over because of the oil in the north sea.

#113610 05/13/10 12:46 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
They are recruiting american teacher to work in england. They're also desperate for teacher in Hawaii... NJ is laying teachers off left and right cuz our awesome governor cut millions of dollars from each individual district (not the whole state... the districts...) However it seems that VA and Maryland are doing some hiring. Indigo... I was on a teacher recruiting website that had nothing but jobs in missouri. I would rather not move that far away but maybe google teaching jobs? I think t was teachers-teachers.com? or maybe schoolspring .net...

#113613 05/13/10 01:25 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Serioulsy? They are recruiting American teachers to work in England! I know lots of british teachers who are struggling to get jobs - that is just crazy!

#113615 05/13/10 01:35 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Yeah there are like a million recruiting agency=ies that say there is a shortage of teachers in England and they are recruiting from America, Canada, and Australia...

that is a little nuts lol. Maybe they should contact the recruitment agencies and be like whats up? lol

#113617 05/13/10 02:29 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Well part of the problem is that I need to stay in St. Louis for at least a few more months after camp is over to finish my master's degree. Also, most of those teaching positions you're finding don't apply to me! Elementary teachers are always needed. Secondary English, not so much. And I do love to travel, but I'm kind of feeling the yen to settle down. Not necessarily to have a family, just to have a place of my own. And I'm pretty selective about weather and social environment. \:\)

#113618 05/13/10 02:36 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I dont know if you would like scottish weather - it is usually cold an wet - although the north east does get some snow!

What about peace corp or VSO?

#113619 05/13/10 03:23 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I found a bunch of jobs in St Louis... apparently out there it is very different from over here. We have 0 elementary ed job openings and tons of openings in specific fields especially for middle school (most of us fear the raging hormones of your average 11-14 year old) lol \:\)

Good luck to you too. When does the masters end? I just finished mine and it was like... i was very very tired and all paper writing-ed out by the end

#113628 05/13/10 07:39 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Well I do have a bunch of applications out. Hopefully I'll get something! Otherwise this might have to be my last year of camp just because I can't keep waiting for a teaching job.

I'll finish my masters in December! I can't wait! \:\)

#113629 05/13/10 08:10 PM
2,000 to 2,500 posts
2,000 to 2,500 posts
Many districts in North Carolina are laying off first and second year teachers. I'm lucky in that I earned tenure this year, so I'm safe... for now. My district is hiring some teachers, but not a lot. We also aren't going to get our raise for the coming up school year, this will be the second year in a row this has happened. We also lost our vision insurance and next year we may lose our dental. I was looking at getting my masters this coming up year, but it looks like I'll have to wait because now I won't be able to afford it without taking out a huge loan, and I don't want to do that.

- Teenster

ISU PRIDE!

Caring - Competent - Confident
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
See... my mom's district rifted everyone with less than 7 years tenure. They all got letter saying their contracts were being evaluate and something like 65% of them were terminated. Won't your school pay for your masters? They should.
Also, why would you give up on camp for teaching? The reason why I am mad excited about this is so I can have a summer job every year...

#113635 05/13/10 09:40 PM
2,000 to 2,500 posts
2,000 to 2,500 posts
The beauty of teaching is that since I have my summers off, I can always work at camp. True, I really have no break in that I literally start camp the next day after school is out... then I start school the next day after camp is out, but it's totally worth it. I really went into teaching so I could work at camp.

My district will not pay for my masters. Besides, I am looking at getting my masters in something that isn't teaching. I am looking into sports management. I would love to be an athletic director for a college or university. True, having that job would mean I would give up on camp, but I do know that camp is not a job that I can do forever.

- Teenster

ISU PRIDE!

Caring - Competent - Confident
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Oooh I thought you meant you were thinking about doing your masters in ed \:\)

#113641 05/13/10 11:03 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Oh no, I meant that if I can't find a teaching job, I'll have to find a job doing something else, which isn't likely to give me my summers off! Though it would be fun to write for a living, or even edit, which was my original plan when I decided to major in English... We'll see! \:\)

#113643 05/13/10 11:11 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Try getting a job for a local college when you finish the masters. My best friend just finished her masters in writing and wants to write as her profession and she's gonna be getting a job as an adjunct professor to support her writing.

#113644 05/13/10 11:32 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Maybe you could write for the ACA magazine - that way you still be involved in camping even if you cant go each summer!

#113645 05/14/10 01:55 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Seems to be a nationwide issue. My district is laying off 540 elementary teachers for next year (though they're still hiring a handful likely for special ed and some harder to fill secondary like math and science). We've had over 100 million dollars cut out of the budget each year for the last two or three years, and it's likely going to be even worse for next year. But then I teach for one of the largest districts in the U.S. Just not the easiest time to be getting a teaching job.

Summers at camp is definitely one big plus to teaching.

#113646 05/14/10 02:44 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
My friend and I were thinking about moving out to Nevada or arizona a couple of years ago to teach but we heard the union isn't very strong out there. If NJ is getting kicked around the way it is (with the strongest teachers union in the country) I cant even imagine what's happening elsewhere...

#113650 05/14/10 09:39 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I am getting my masters in adventure education so I can work at camp full time!

Page 17 of 20 1 2 15 16 17 18 19 20

Moderated by  tom 

Link Copied to Clipboard