#113651 05/14/10 09:55 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I don't know, we'll see...

Cedarledge's open house is Sunday afternoon! I'm pretty excited! \:\)

#113656 05/14/10 01:26 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Our union isn't that strong, and by law we have no ability to strike. At the same time, our economy is worse, and yet we haven't had things as bad as teachers a lot of places. They are freezing our steps this year, but we'll still get to move for more education. This is the first year they've touched our pay except not to give any more cost of living increases. It will also be our first year with teacher lay offs, but most will probably be absorbed by moves/retirements.

This can be a hard place to teach though. Lots of home life challenges and not a great deal of support for education since you can make more as a valet than with a college degree.

#113685 05/15/10 08:27 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I'm really hoping the barn programs aren't canceled today for rain! The last two cookout/trails were. \:\(

Open house is tomorrow! If you're in the area, come on over! (I know Rosethorn and I will be there. I'm looking at you, Cedarledge lurkers!)

#113725 05/17/10 12:26 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Open house today went so well! I was afraid it would start raining, and it was rather cold, but we had about 200 visitors, including new campers, returning campers, and a few new staff members (two of whom had their interviews on the spot with Brooke!). Most of them were super excited to be there. One girl I met had been having doubts about camp, and she was really nervous, but when she got back from her tour, she was smiling and seemed much happier! And Rosethorn, I had a LONG talk about life with the dad of a CIT (Rusty) and a WIT (possibly Kiwi). We're pretty much BFFs now.

A successful day! \:D

#113726 05/17/10 12:33 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Good for you!! Sounds like a productive day!

#113727 05/17/10 12:54 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Oh! I am glad Open house was a success! I live in Illinois is having a major education crisis right now. First of all, we have the economy and our criminal ex-governor. There is a drastic cut in funding, and many schools in my are are reducing to dry bones. No music, no sports, and many teacher cuts. One crummy teaching spot had over 1000 applicanta. Since this is really close to St. Louis, these teachers are probaly also plugging the works in St. Louis.

#113731 05/17/10 02:59 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
 Originally Posted By: heathesaurusrex
Yeah there are like a million recruiting agency=ies that say there is a shortage of teachers in England and they are recruiting from America, Canada, and Australia...

That is insane... we need teachers here Down Under. However, they probably want to go somewhere where there's better pay and they get a little respect.....

Sadly, I wasn't in the area (still being over here in Australia), but I'm glad to hear the open house went well. Looking forward to seeing Cedarledge for myself in 10 days \:\)

Last edited by Munchy; 05/17/10 03:01 AM.
#113732 05/17/10 08:58 AM
2,000 to 2,500 posts
2,000 to 2,500 posts
cedar trees... That's one of the main reasons I had to move out of Illinois...

- Teenster

ISU PRIDE!

Caring - Competent - Confident
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I'm glad open house went well! I'm sad I couldn't make it, but I was spending some quality time at the zoo with my cousin, who is in the military, and his kids. Good times had by all. \:\)

#113807 05/19/10 09:49 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Yesterday was a beautiful day at the barn! For once, the sun was shining, so we were able to have a nice trail ride and cookout.

I'm taking my rats to CD's house for the summer today! I think they'll have fun with her at "rat camp," as my mom puts it.

#113814 05/19/10 12:35 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Just double checking: moving in on the evening of the 28th is an option as long as we RSVP, right? Or has that deadline passed?

#113827 05/19/10 06:22 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I have no idea, honestly! I stuck my staff packet in my closet somewhere, then I piled all my camp stuff in front of the door... not the best idea, really. But now that the big rat cage is out of my room, I think I'll move my camp stuff there, so maybe I can check it out! \:\)

#113828 05/19/10 07:10 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I dug it out!! There's no deadline. Just let Smiles and Brooke know!

#113830 05/19/10 08:34 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Oh, good. I will inform them shortly.

#113835 05/19/10 11:46 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Oh geez, 6 days to go before I leave and I'e barely done anything to get organised :S Ah well, If I arrive at Cedarledge with an empty suitcase and my sleeping bag, I'll be fine. :P I've heard Wallmart is nice this time of year :P :P Looking forward to meeting all the staff there more than anything, I think.

#113855 05/20/10 11:54 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Yeah, Walmart is pretty much amazing. They will have everything you need and for cheaper than you can get it in Australia.

#113862 05/20/10 12:14 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I took the internationals on their first big Wal-Mart run a couple years ago... it was pretty magical. \:\)

#113863 05/20/10 12:17 PM
More than 3,000 posts
More than 3,000 posts
That does sound magical!

"I'm always pretty happy when I'm at camp with you!"
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I remember trying to explain the concept in Ireland... They didn't get it. I think it was compounded by the fact that it was a bank holiday and we, as Americans, didn't understand why anyone would have a holiday if they couldn't go shopping (all of the stores are closed too because those people shouldn't have to work either) We're talking to these people and we're like do you have a Target or a Walmart or something like that. And they directed us to a grocery store so the next people we were more specific (Is there a store around that sells alarm clocks, shampoo, makeup, hoodies, and shoes?) and they just stared at us, looked at each other, looked back at us and told us no, but they thought a store like that would be a good idea. When we were leaving we were like Oh Ireland, I love you but I couldn't live without Target.

#113870 05/20/10 01:29 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
My first summer i got to camp about 8 or 9pm and by 11pm had permission and was on the road to the nearest walmart \:\) Fortunately I had arrived before most people so it didnt cause any problems!

#113885 05/21/10 01:35 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Being an international, I LOVE Walmart, just recently found myself at a Walmart, first time since last summer, and got all excited and didnt know where to start! Internationals + Walmart = MAGICAL!
Really glad open house went well, wish I could have been there but I'm sure you were amazing Indigo. \:\)

#113897 05/21/10 09:15 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Oh great, now I'm excited about going to Walmart :P I hate shopping!! :S

#113899 05/21/10 09:50 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The funny thing is, I don't even really shop at Wal-Mart when I'm not at camp! For a long time there wasn't one near my house, so I shopped at K-Mart or Target (Target's still a favorite of mine). Then they built one really close to me, but it's not as enjoyable as the one near camp.

#113903 05/21/10 10:53 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I've got to say... I rarely go to walmart... I prefer Target... but my room mate and I used to go to walmart all the time and we had a great time. I think it depends on who you're with and why.

#113905 05/21/10 11:30 AM
More than 3,000 posts
More than 3,000 posts
I go to Walmart for books and that's about it. I can't afford to buy my (series paperback romance novels) books at a bookstore and Target only sells some of them. Plus when I'm at school there's a walmart 20 minutes away and a Target 40 minutes away. At home I rarely go to walmart, though with Target only selling some of my books now I might have to go to walmart.

Target is actually where we go at my camp, though there is a walmart nearby too. I think the Target is just a little closer and I don't know of anyone's objections to Target. Plus Target is just totally awesome!

"I'm always pretty happy when I'm at camp with you!"
Page 18 of 20 1 2 16 17 18 19 20

Moderated by  tom 

Link Copied to Clipboard