#113906 05/21/10 01:40 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
 Originally Posted By: Indigo
Then they built one really close to me, but it's not as enjoyable as the one near camp.

Ah, the Festus walmart. Place of my childhood dreams...

#113908 05/21/10 03:31 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Giggles... next time you're looking to buy books, stop at a borders. The romance paperback you're talking about run anywhere from 4.99-7.99 (and the odd .89) and I am pretty positive they have more of a selection than walmart. While you're there just ask for a borders rewards card. It's free and you'll get coupons once a week. They are generally anywhere from 25-40% off... and when you're talking about a 7.99 book, that ain't bad.
However, i should mention that I work for Border's... so I am biased. But there is someone at every store who is trained in every section (I'm YA and IR) and they'll know the newest best books in the section...

#113910 05/21/10 05:17 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I used to love Borders but they are not in my good books any more! Cos they closed my local (well glasgow) down and I think every one in the UK!

I have to say I really love walmart - but it was mainly the craft section which I believe they have done away with :(.

I got the prettiest skirt a couple of years ago from Kmart - whenever I wear it I get complemented on it! And the best thing is that is was on sale and only cost me $3.

#113911 05/21/10 05:28 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Border's hasn't been doing well recently. Mainly because Barnes and Noble is better at Marketing than we are. However, the entire company is really excited about this summer because we have an exclusive ereader coming out that is being called 'the kindle killer' by all the big newspapers... so maybe we can make some money after all lol.

#113913 05/21/10 05:30 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I know but I have an aversion to the other big books stores we have over here here Waterstones - so currently rely on ASDA, tesco, amazon, charity shops and my rubbish library for books!

#113917 05/21/10 05:46 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I get most of my books from thrift stores! I've found some really great ones, just for a couple dollars or less. But when I get a good member coupon, I'll go to Borders and look around. \:\) Plus, a friend of mine works in the cafe, so I go visit him now and then.

#113918 05/21/10 06:08 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Yeah, I'm the same way. I mostly get mine from thrift stores if I can, or the little used bookstore by my house. Indigo, I need to take you there sometime! If those fail me, though, then I'm a Borders fan all the way.

#113919 05/21/10 06:17 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Our thrift shops dont usually sell the kinds of books I read - but I do get books from there!

#113920 05/21/10 11:47 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Yeah, it's always hit or miss. But when I hit it makes me very happy!

#113922 05/22/10 12:15 AM
More than 3,000 posts
More than 3,000 posts
Heather- yeah I go to Borders too and I have a card for there. We don't really have one over here, at least not very close. Back home though, I go there as it is closer than B&N. Yeah, I am well-versed in the prices of my books and Walmart sells them for like $2 cheaper than retail and Borders sells at retail.

Yeah, they have a bigger romance section in general for sure at borders, but I think of the books/"series" I usually get they have at least almost all the ones Borders does.

"I'm always pretty happy when I'm at camp with you!"
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Well the weather has finally kicked itself into gear for camp! Sunny skies and temperatures near the 90s! Well, possibly scattered thunderstorms. But I can live with that.

The Ren Fest yesterday was awesome! Camel rides, pickle guys, singing pirates, flea circuses, games in the mud, and tarot readings.

Last night I packed my car. Mr. S does not appreciate being stuck in his travel cage/bathtub/feeding cage, but he'll be fine for the day, until I can get him situated at camp.

Today I work at the barn, tonight I move my stuff into Guest House, and tomorrow the rest of the ad staff arrives. I'm so excited!!

#113971 05/23/10 10:15 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
What is Ren fest? The games in the mud sounds very red neck!

#113976 05/23/10 05:27 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Renaissance right? We have a guy that follows you around with coconuts making horse noises (as in Monty Python) here \:\)

#113977 05/23/10 06:37 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Haha! That's awesome! We took photos with a giant wooden rabbit like the one in the movie.
There was supposed to be jousting, but the field was too muddy for the horses, so they did some Scottish games instead.
I told Momo that she needs to set Indigo up with the pickle man and me up with the camel boy and that her passing the CIT program depends on it lol.

#113979 05/23/10 07:41 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Sounds fun!

I bought pool noodles to do jousting - I havent fully figured it out but I am thinking I also need hobby horses!

#113985 05/23/10 11:44 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
My high school used to joust during Homecoming week because our mascot was a lancer. Basically we played chicken on dry land and hit each other with large pillows. It was fun. Probably not very safe, but fun things seldom are.

#113986 05/23/10 11:53 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
 Originally Posted By: Rosethorn
Probably not very safe, but fun things seldom are.

So true!

#113989 05/24/10 12:48 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Sounds like Pillow polo at my school. We used these things that looked like giant q tips, theoretically to hit a volleyball around on the floor into each others nets... but you know we spent all our time whacking each other with them lol.
The coconut guy started following my mom around last time and she was really alarmed cuz she's never been able to sit through holy grail so she didn't get it lol.

#113990 05/24/10 01:12 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
When I was a wrangler back in 2004, we jousted! We picked two of the calmest horses, who liked each other, and trotted them at each other bareback, holding pool noodles. They weren't really fans of the activity! \:\)

#113991 05/24/10 06:10 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I can imagine they wouldn't be - I know that in days of yore it took alot of training for both the horse and rider! I am thinking pool noodles and hobby horses - if nothing else it is an excuse to buy hobby horses!

#113992 05/24/10 08:59 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I have a lot of respect for the horse trainers of yore. They must have had a tough job!

I moved all my stuff into my summer home last night! I packed pretty light this year, so it didn't take too long. My snake was the most difficult thing, having to lug the tank around and rearrange the heater. I'm hoping to find him stretched out happily in the tank when I go back today!

I'm still a bit nervous about all this, but as ad staff week, precamp, and first session come along, I think I'll get into the swing of things and love it. Kind of like my first year, when I was a counselor, and didn't really expect to be any good at it... and then I was. \:\)

#113993 05/24/10 11:45 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
So I emailed Brooke about checking in early for precamp, and she hasn't responded. Guess I'm just showing up lol!

#113994 05/24/10 12:55 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
She might be too busy to respond \:\) I know when I tried emailing my CD in the few weeks before camp and it could take a while for her to get back to me!

#114028 05/27/10 11:46 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I just read an article about sillybandz getting banned from schools for being a distraction. LOL they really ARE the slap bracelets of this generation!

#114031 05/27/10 04:09 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Yeah we finally had to tell our kids they could only have them at recess. Also they trade them and stuff which isn't ok at a lot of schools because whatever is being traded isn't technically the kids property, they technically belong to parents so if someone trade three silly bandz for a Jeter rookie card... dad gets a little annoyed...

Page 19 of 20 1 2 17 18 19 20

Moderated by  tom 

Link Copied to Clipboard