Rate Thread
#120370 12/10/12 02:41 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I work at a small for-profit camp and we're in the process of developing a scholarship program. We're also working towards ACA accreditation this year and I know that once we become accredited, they administer a program that we can use. Please answer any of the following questions that you can, and if you're available for further conversation, I'd love to connect via phone or email.

1. For camps who use the ACA scholarship program for camperships at their camp, how do you like it? Have you had any difficulties with the process? Are people ever hesitant to donate, and how do you deal with that?

2. For-profit camps: what ways other than ACA have you worked to set up a campership fund? Has anybody just set up a separate bank account and collected donations that aren't tax-deductible? What special considerations have you had to make? How did you market this program?

3. For-profit camps: have you been able to partner with any separate non-profits and/or fiscal sponsors for your scholarship program? How has that worked?

Thanks!

#120463 01/14/13 02:38 AM
M
More than 3,000 posts
More than 3,000 posts
M
Would it be possible for you to set up a foundation for the sole reason for camper ships?

I worked at a non for profit camps before, and they had a camp fund with a separate bank account for this purpose, and also had outside agencies like local Jaycee chapters, Rotary, Kiwanis and other service clubs pay for specific campers

PM me if you want to sign up for the camp buddies for this summmer.
#120968 04/04/13 09:57 AM
C
CampTalk
Unregistered
CampTalk
Unregistered
C
Thanks to everybody for your responses.

We ended up deciding to use the ACA's scholarship program for campership. We haven't used the ACA program yet, because we're working on our accreditation this year, but I like it for a couple of reasons. A big one is that we're for-profit, and we wanted to avoid the legal and financial hassle of taking donations directly and/or setting up a non-profit partner foundation (either our own non-profit or with a fiscal sponsor) if we could. Through the ACA, they serve as a fiscal sponsor of sorts but it's already set up and the application and all are fairly easy. A lot of that was because we assumed that our people and alumnae base woudl give larger donations if they're tax-deductible, too. I also like it because we can still have full control over the scholarship process - fundraising, applications, awards, etc. And, the one-time 7% fee seems really reasonable, in comparison to a lot of the other options I looked into.

I hope this helps anybody who has look in here with questions. Feel free to private message me or let me know if you have specific questions in your process. I'm happy to discuss further.

Moderated by  tom 

Link Copied to Clipboard