Print Thread
Rate Thread
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
What does the ymca look for in hiring directors and assistant directors. I want to direct or assistant direct someday in a non-profit setting.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Hey Keri I am currently building a career in the Y. I am at the exempt professional staff level currently and am constantly looking forward in trying to advance my career, as a result I am always asking questions, and have been fortunate to have been mentored by and excellent Exec. early in my career. What level are you at exactly? That might help me in knowing how answer your questions.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I am at the bottom level. I want to work directly with the camps not necessarily at the other types of Y facilities. I talked to a woman at one of my tables today (I am a server in the winter) and she's best friends with the CEO of our local YMCA county chapter. We dont' have a residential camp in the district but we have a day camp. I thought it would be a start to talk to her. I have a chance at being a unit leader at Kentucky based YMCA Camp.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
YEs I have worked at a YMCA conference center and Day camp in the south and two YMCA resident camps. Where have you been working?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I worked with happy hollow camp in Indiana and birch trail camp in WI. I am looking into Camp Piominog (a ymca camp) this summer.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
You are on the way. One thing that is important is a diploma. Most camps won't hire a professional staff with out one.

Also more than one camp for experience. Camps don;t want to see a person looking for a year-round director job that has been at one camp since they were 8. Having been at 2 or 3 camps helps show a wider range of experince and usually an ability to adapt . Too many times a long term camper-then-counsleor doesn't love camping they love THEIR camp. I have known more than one person who tanked at a new camp because of it.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
That's why I am jumping around to different camps to make sure that camp is what I love. The more I do it, the more I love it. I think it's really what I am supposed to do.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I began working at a Y retreat center in a pretty big association. After about 2 years there I had the chance to make the move to a member Y and I didn't because I knew it was camp that I wanted to be a part of, not just serving kids in any setting. (I have worked in member Y's in afterschool, lifeguarding, and childcare they are not the same as camp)
I don't know what your current education status is or how supportive your parents are but you might want to look into taking a year off of school to work year round at a Y camp that does good OE with a great reputation. Finishing your drgree is pivotal to getting hired for a professional position but it is also good for an Exec to see that you have worked year-round before and not only during the euphoria of summer.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Keri,
I know that the Y is always offering directors courses, there is usually info on the ymcaexchange.org website (username: ymca password: 9622)
Also (I know this is cheeky advertising) I am looking for a Program Director, CIT Director, Media Director and Unit Leaders for summer 2007. If any of these positions are of interest to you, visit our website: www.campmohawk.org or shoot me an email: nadine@campmohawk.org
Good Luck & Happy Camping

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
We are not a YMCA but operate very very similar. We will be hiring a Director and Assistant Director soon. WE're in California, so if you're interested in a move, let me know.

Good Luck!!!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Keri,

If you are in Indiana, let me reccomend Flat Rock River YMCA Camp. I spent last fall there as an outdoor instructor. The people there are stellar and personable. Steve, the executive director of the camp, is completely accessible and often seeks out the opinion of the staff. They are all very helpful. The camp is near Shelbyville, but is actually part of the YMCA of Greater Indianapolis.

C
200 to 300 posts
200 to 300 posts
C
House in the woods Camp in Delavan Wis is a non profit that serves inner city youth in Chicago.
We are two hours from Chicago and an hour from Milwaukee.
Houseinthewoods.org

Moderated by  tom 

Link Copied to Clipboard