Rate Thread
S
Sting
Unregistered
Sting
Unregistered
S
Hey everyone!

I have some questions that I'd really love for you all to answer, if you don't mind taking a minute for me! I'm just trying to get a better idea of what staff expect from their camp, their support staff, and what would make the camp experience more enjoyable. So...

1. What position will you be in at camp this coming summer?

2. Is there anything that you are anxious or nervous about for camp?

3. What are you hoping to get out of camp?

4. What do you expect from the support staff (camp director, assistant camp director, etc)?

5. If you're feeling stressed at camp, what is something that support staff could do to make you feel better?

6. For returning staff - do you have a positive experience with your support staff you could share?

7. For returning resident staff - what do you find to be the most challenging part of your job?

8. What do you like to do to relax?

And feel free to add any other comments, suggestions, advice, etc!

D
DTP Offline
200 to 300 posts
200 to 300 posts
D
I'll help out

1. What position will you be in at camp this coming summer? Athlete Director, specifically in charge of intercamp sports.

Nope.

Another fun, drama-free summer. I have big expectations for the program I'm in charge of, so of course I'm hoping everything works out the way I expect it to.

4. What do you expect from the support staff (camp director, assistant camp director, etc)?
Truth and freedom to be able to effectively do my job.

5. If you're feeling stressed at camp, what is something that support staff could do to make you feel better?
Not much....I for the most part can handle my own stress. I'm more focused on being there for our counselors, especially the new ones, when they become stressed.

6. For returning staff - do you have a positive experience with your support staff you could share?
Last summer, no matter what the situation was they were very supporting of the counselors, which was huge for me because the previous summer at the camp I was at, the rest of the support staff were quite the opposite.

7. For returning resident staff - what do you find to be the most challenging part of your job?
Haven't officially started the new position yet but its a pretty easy job...the most challenging part will be something I nor anyone else on our staff can really control....which is getting other camps to follow through with the schedule we set up.

Have fun with the kids.

C
200 to 300 posts
200 to 300 posts
C
1. What position will you be in at camp this coming summer? I am the Summer Camp Coordinator and will be taking some charge this summer and full charge next summer. It's a year round position

2. Is there anything that you are anxious or nervous about for camp? Staff -getting them to get on board (but most of them are new so it shouldn't be that hard only 3 returning so far)

The Experiences of being a full time camp director

4. What do you expect from the support staff (camp director, assistant camp director, etc)?From my camp director , trust and freedom to do my job.

5. If you're feeling stressed at camp, what is something that support staff could do to make you feel better? No not really

8. What do you like to do to relax? I like to travel about the area when I'm streseed on time off but most of the time I don't get stressed. If I'm in camp, and I can at night I watch movies to take my cares away.

And feel free to add any other comments, suggestions, advice, etc!

C
campingqueen
Unregistered
campingqueen
Unregistered
C
1. What position will you be in at camp this coming summer? Assistant Camp Director (2nd summer in this position, 3rd summer at this camp)

2. Is there anything that you are anxious or nervous about for camp? I'm not really anxious or nervous, just want this summer to be great for all the staff and kids at camp!

3. What are you hoping to get out of camp? I'd like to continue to build my administrative/leadership skills within camp.

4. What do you expect from the support staff (camp director, assistant camp director, etc)? I want my camp director to support me in all that I do. I also want all of the support staff to get along (we've had issues with this in the past).

5. If you're feeling stressed at camp, what is something that support staff could do to make you feel better? Be understanding of my position on the matter.

6. For returning staff - do you have a positive experience with your support staff you could share? My camp director is wonderful and is always willing to listen, no matter how big or small the issue, whether we need to vent, or just chat.

7. For returning resident staff - what do you find to be the most challenging part of your job? The most challenging part of my job is that I don't always know what it entails. I could be running around solving problems, doing paperwork, dealing with coverage issues, assigning staff to units, etc........ I love that it's not a boring job and I'm very flexible so I am good at dealing with the daily challenge of doing all kinds of stuff.

8. What do you like to do to relax? I like to read or write or draw. I'm one of those people who likes a quiet place to relax.

C
cali
Unregistered
cali
Unregistered
C
1. What position will you be in at camp this coming summer? Business Manager, 2nd time doing this position, new to the camp I'm at this summer

2. Is there anything that you are anxious or nervous about for camp? I am just hoping that the summer goes pretty well, but I will enjoy it regardless

3. What are you hoping to get out of camp? I am hoping to continue to grow and define my leadership style while connecting to staff

4. What do you expect from the support staff (camp director, assistant camp director, etc)? I just expect to know I can count on the other members of the support team to do their job and be part of the team.

5. If you're feeling stressed at camp, what is something that support staff could do to make you feel better? I am part of support staff, but I really don't rely on others to control my levels of stress, I rarely feel stressed out at camp and when I do it helps if I can talk to someone else on the support team with me.

6. For returning staff - do you have a positive experience with your support staff you could share? I am not returning to my camp, but I have been doing camp for years now, and I feel that feeling supported by the admin team is mixed, some members are great at it, others just aren't.

7. For returning resident staff - what do you find to be the most challenging part of your job? I think the most challenging part of any job for me is always making sureI don't over extend myself.

8. What do you like to do to relax? I read or watch a quick episode of one of my tv shows on netflix on my phone at night.

2,000 to 2,500 posts
2,000 to 2,500 posts
1. Director of Programming

2. Not really. This is my 3rd summer in the job, and I feel pretty confident. I do know that this summer, the Director would like me to do a bit more "on camp" stuff. It doesn't make me nervous, more excited to become more active.

3. I want to have a great summer, meet new people, and try new things. Like with my #2 response, I want to grow in this position and work closer to making camp a full time job for me.

4. I report directly to the Director, he is awesome. He has given me total support since I started with this job. He always checks in on me to make sure all is well in programming.

5. If I'm feeling stressed, I am usually forced to take a period off (LOL). Or, the Director and I will take a walk around the horse farm. Really just anything to get me out of my office.

6. My Director is just great, I can't think of just one thing that he has done to help me out. We work really well together.

7. I am not returning in the resident side.

8. I go and shoot baskets or take a walk around camp.

- Teenster cool

ISU PRIDE!

Caring - Competent - Confident
S
Sting
Unregistered
Sting
Unregistered
S
Thanks for all the input everyone, I am really appreciating it. I've gotten responses from a few other sources too, and it's really helping me develop a better understanding of what I can do to improve the camp experience for the staff and campers.

If anyone does read this late, feel free to still contribute - I'm happy to keep having responses added for as long as you all want!

More than 3,000 posts
More than 3,000 posts
Ive been meaning to do it but I just turned in y application for this summer so I dont actually know where I will be or my exact position. But when i know i will answer!

"I'm always pretty happy when I'm at camp with you!"
C
CatsandTeaKRC
Unregistered
CatsandTeaKRC
Unregistered
C
I know this was asked a year ago but I'm bored. lol So here goes for summer 2014:
Unit Manager and Archery Instructor
2. Is there anything that you are anxious or nervous about for camp? Taking care of the kids for a week overnight (I've only done day camps before this) and managing an entire unit. Also not looking like an idiot in front of the campers while I try to teach them archery.

To come out of my shell a little bit and be a role model for campers.
4. What do you expect from the support staff (camp director, assistant camp director, etc)? That they are fun, kind, helpful, supportive, and set a good example for the other staff by interacting with the campers.

5. If you're feeling stressed at camp, what is something that support staff could do to make you feel better? Helping manage campers if needed, be supportive and encouraging.

6. For returning staff - do you have a positive experience with your support staff you could share? N/A

7. For returning resident staff - what do you find to be the most challenging part of your job? N/A

8. What do you like to do to relax? I like to be by myself and read or write, maybe drink a cup of tea.

2,000 to 2,500 posts
2,000 to 2,500 posts
Director of Programming

It's our ACA summer, and I'm in charge of making it happen.

I would like to see the programming staff feel more apart of the camp community.

Support all around.

Support all around.

They have always been helpful, espcially in the past when we've had some major changes in staff.

Remembering what day it is, like if it's a Monday or Friday. All of the days tend to run together.

I shoot baskets or take a nap.

- Teenster

ISU PRIDE!

Caring - Competent - Confident
I
Indigo
Unregistered
Indigo
Unregistered
I

It hasn't been offered yet, but I think I'm going to be WIT Director again!

As I get older, it's harder to relate to the younger staff members sometimes.

I'm hoping to inspire another summer full of girls to be the best they can, and to become great staff members!

I expect them to treat everyone fairly, and to follow through on their promises. To stay informed about what's going on, and help where they can.

I've been in that position, and I know it's not always easy. You can't please everyone. Honestly, when I'm feeling stressed I just need a little alone time. Not that I expect someone to come watch my unit for me while I run off by myself, but if I can just take an extra minute in the bathroom and breathe, it really helps.
The support staff can listen to my problems, and try to help in any way they can. Take me seriously. Acknowledge that I have a lot of experience and skill, and I don't often ask for help, so if I do, there's probably a major problem that needs attention fast.

I had an older camper once who was quiet and shy and sweet, but had a backbone of steel and wouldn't back down from what she wanted or follow certain rules or guidelines (argued about keeping her cell phone, complained she was too hot but wouldn't wear shorts, wouldn't trim her nails, etc.). After a few days she came up to me and said she had thought about it, and she was ready to go home. I was pretty sick of the attitude she'd been giving, and I snapped that it wasn't her decision. ...But then I told the camp director later, and she said, "Indigo, if you want her to go home, she can go home." ...And I realized that instead of making this a huge fight, we could all get what we wanted out of this situation.

I haven't been unit staff for a few years, so that'll be an adjustment, but I think the most challenging thing is living and working closely with the other staff members. You have to rely on them to make the best decisions and take care of things, and... sometimes in the past, they haven't. As WIT Director, I'm alone with one group of my kids while the counselor is alone with the other group. All day. In the past I had to sit down with the campers and tell them that it was THEIR responsibility to follow the schedule even if the counselor wasn't ready when they needed to go.

(at camp) I read, color, write, play video games, lie on the couch and listen to the radio... I make Stupid Sock Creatures sometimes. I talk with other staff members.
On my nights off I go out to eat, then I go to the farm supply store (to get interesting sodas and look at baby chicks!), Goodwill, Wal-Mart...
On session breaks I see movies and go shopping. Even if camp people are doing something fun, I try not to hang out with them, and I try to do the most un-camp things I can think of, to give myself a good break. ...And sleep, of course. Lots of sleep. By the end of the weekend, I'm feeling refreshed and ready to go back to camp!

C
50 to 100 posts
50 to 100 posts
C
I’m the chef for a family camp in Northern California.

This is my second year at this camp, so I know what to expect. My concerns are different than most program staff as they relate to my role as a leader and kitchen manager. I’m always nervous about the kitchen staff, especially since I had a nearly perfect team last year. I know several won’t be returning for the coming season. Yet, this gives me a challenge and goal to work toward when my cooks and dishwashers report to camp. I need to mold the 2014 staff in the same manner as I did in 2013. Another of my concerns related to the US Foods-Sysco merger and how it will impact prices and customer service.

A great summer. The best aspect of being a chef is watching smiling faces as campers enjoy their meals. I’m looking forward to my second year of providing great meals.

4. What do you expect from the support [leadership] staff (camp director, assistant camp director, etc.)?
I want a camp director who gives me the authority to do my job and step aside and let me do that job. I’m the culinary expert at camp, and as such, I have the expertise and tools to provide three wonderful meals each day to campers. This includes giving me an adequate budget and purchasing authority.

5. If you're feeling stressed at camp, what is something that support [leadership] staff could do to make you feel better?
Let me say that stress isn’t always bad. In the kitchen, we experience three stressful periods each day. They are called breakfast, lunch and dinner. While personal stress levels may be high for the hour before meal time, it pushes me (along with my staff) to get the meal out on time. For the cook, the feelings of accomplishment (and reprieve) are incredible when you meet the goal of putting a meal out on time, however short lived. The process begins anew as soon as you get a bite to eat!

When warranted, give me the tools I need to work through the stress. Honest feedback is a big plus. While I generally enjoy working with little direct supervision, I ask that my boss let me know how I’m doing. To this end, my manager and I meet formally each week. We also talk frequently throughout the day, often at meal time.

You may ask, what does feedback and meetings have to do with stress relief? A lot. Making someone ‘feel better’ doesn’t cure stress. It masks it. The best way to relieve stress is to give someone the tools he or she needs to perform in his/her position. Through proper leadership, training and empowerment, you help a person develop confidence in his/her ability to perform the job.

We have a great leadership team at my camp.

Read, walk, take pictures and watch trains (the tracks run by the camp). My wife and I go into town two to three times each week to get away from camp and relax over a meal cooked by someone else.

C
campingqueen
Unregistered
campingqueen
Unregistered
C
Seasonal Camp Director at a GS camp

This will be my first year as Camp Director and this is new having just a seasonal camp director so I'm a little nervous about how it's all going to work. There's currently an interim director who is getting everything ready so that helps. I just want to make sure I have everything I need and am prepared for camp as best as I can be.

I want it to be a great summer for the girls and everything to run smoothly leadership team wise and staff wise.

4. What do you expect from the support [leadership] staff (camp director, assistant camp director, etc.)?
I want everyone to work together in a mature and appropriate way. I want all staff to get along and be a team.

5. If you're feeling stressed at camp, what is something that support [leadership] staff could do to make you feel better?
I would like everyone to understand that sometimes I need a little downtime or help. It's important for me to be able to relax a bit and have some fun as well.

We have had some great staff members in the past few years and worked out a ton of kinks that have helped make camp run more smoothly and everyone get along better.

I think the most challenging part of my job is always going to be dealing with major issues that might occur. There are always issues at camp, but it's sometimes hard to deal with staff not getting along or campers who don't want to do what they're supposed to.

I love to read, color, draw, write, mess around on the computer, and just sit and enjoy the outdoors. I also enjoy taking a gator (golf cart thingy) out and going on a back trail to enjoy a bit of time alone.

Moderated by  tom 

Link Copied to Clipboard