I'm working on updating our emergency plan. We're a small camp, with probably no more than 90 people on our campus, including staff. We run two 2.5 sessions and are now getting into some three day retreat/weekend programs (with more like 40 people total at those). We serve 'typical' campers, meaning we're not accessible to campers with major disabilities and illnesses. Residential program campers are ages 6-15, and then 18+ on many of the weekends. The campus is pretty small with a road going up 'the hill' that serves as a kind of spine from which you can see most all of the camp. You can get from one end of the activity areas to the other in 5 minutes walking. Let me know if you need more background.

My questions:

1. What's your opinion on the need to have an AED on-site? Police and fire department are a 4-5 minute drive to the entrance of the site.

2. What's your camp's policy on running fire and other emergency drills with campers? If you run drills, how do you do that? When do you run them? How to you make sure not to scare campers? What's your 'cut off' or policy on when to run drills (i.e. length of session)?

3. What's your opinion on what we should do? We already run all of our drills (fire, drowning, missing person, major accident, etc.) with staff at training prior to each session. With campers, we review that information on the first night. Do you think we also need to run those drills with campers? If so, do we need to run those drills with campers at the shorter (3 day) sessions?

Thanks in advance for your help!
Madi