Print Thread
Rate Thread
L
LiMoCo
Unregistered
LiMoCo
Unregistered
L
Hey everyone! I stumbled across this forum while looking for packing tips (don't want to forget anything!) and some tips for a first time teen counselor? Anyone have anything good? :grin:

D
DTP Offline
200 to 300 posts
200 to 300 posts
D
Advice with just dealing with teams in general or within a specific program?

C
CatsandTeaKRC
Unregistered
CatsandTeaKRC
Unregistered
C
Are you a teen are you working with teens? I guess my advice is to remember not to be too much of a friend with them. Some people make that mistake because teens are older so you try to be their friend instead of their leader. Then the rules slide and kids stop respecting you. Make sure to establish authority with them from the start.

I
Indigo
Unregistered
Indigo
Unregistered
I
DEFINITELY remember that you're not their friend...

This applies especially if you're working with older kids, but it goes for all ages as well: PARTICIPATE! There are going to be SO many kids who don't like certain activities. They don't like sports, they can't do the craft, they hate the idea of hiking, they're scared of horses, they just don't FEEL LIKE doing whatever it is you're doing.

Do it with them! You'll be amazed at how many of them really get into it!

A few years back I was taking my group to sports... I have never been a sports person, and I really wasn't feeling it that day, so I asked the sports director if I could slip over to the office to get our mail... and maybe take my time there. She said no, and I sighed and said okay.
We played floor hockey, and I got so into the game that it completely astounded my campers (who knew I wasn't into sports). Now it's one of my favorite things. If I happen to see a group playing floor hockey, I make a point of asking to play (gives some tired counselor a break too), and the kids like playing with adults who are really excited about the game!

2,000 to 2,500 posts
2,000 to 2,500 posts
My first summer (I was 18, then turned 19 have way through) I started out really shy. It's always been difficult for me to make friends, especially in new places. Though at camp I had to really step out of my comfort zone. My advice, like Indigo, is to make sure that you have fun and you do things you would never imagine doing. This is great for the campers to see you participate, but it also is great for you. Just by working at camp, I've picked up a few new skills, like golf, playing GaGa, improved my ping pong skills, and I've learned a few new dances. Being able to try new things and not worry about what others think will then help you in the "real world."

- Teenster

ISU PRIDE!

Caring - Competent - Confident
C
campingqueen
Unregistered
campingqueen
Unregistered
C
Here's my advice to anyone at summer camp, be it staff, campers, etc....
Try something new
Smile
Have fun
Be or become a leader
Take chances
Enjoy nature
Be involved with your campers and fellow staff
Take time to relax
Get to know everyone
Step out of your comfort zone
Experience everything camp has to offer
Be a good role model to others
Be kind
Live camp
Love camp
Grow as a person
It's so important to experience all camp has to offer. If you're a counselor for teens, remember that they need guidance, they need someone to look up to, they need an ear that will listen and not judge, they need advice, they need you to be their role model and their leader. You have an important job and you need to make sure you take responsibility for it.

Moderated by  tom 

Link Copied to Clipboard