Rate Thread
#97055 05/09/08 02:19 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I was recently researching the use of DEET insect repellent for campers. It sounds like there is some discrepency about whether or not it will be harmful to children. Does anyone have insight about the use of DEET on children and how harmful it can be, if at all. We are located in WA state and have a fair amount of mosquitos, but nothing that seems to be health threatening (such as the severity of insects in other regions of the US and New Zealand) - only an annoyance. Any thoughts?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Let parents decide for themselves--the kids probably bring their own repellent anyway, right? We stock some repellent for first aid kits or people who forget--only low or non-DEET. I haven't seen any research that shows insect repellent with 7% DEET is harmful (though there could be some now), and that works fine for most people.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
West Nile virus changes the weight of the DEET argument a little. Mosquitos used to be just a nuisance but now they have evolved into a real hazzard. There is no doubt DEET is toxic, the degree of the toxicity these days must now be compared to the threat of a West Nile infection. DEET is very effective as a mosquito repellant, there is a more detailed discussion on a blog at http://www.brockventures.com.

C
CatsandTeaKRC
Unregistered
CatsandTeaKRC
Unregistered
C
Here in Virginia, the non Deet stuff doesn't work on the monster mosquitos. lol

L
150 to 200 posts
150 to 200 posts
L
I always use DEET but I think this should be up to parents. If they want to send their kids to camp with DEET spray ok but I don't think we should be giving it to them.

Moderated by  tom 

Link Copied to Clipboard