Print Thread
Rate Thread
T
thh2705
Unregistered
thh2705
Unregistered
T
I'm looking for any information on camps using CSAs in their food service. We'd love to start getting some local fresh food into our meals but I'm wondering if there is precedent for this idea. Has anyone had to jump through any hoops to implement this? Any success stories out there?

Community-supported agriculture is an alternative, locally-based economic model of agriculture and food distribution.CSA members or subscribers pay at the onset of the growing season for a share of the anticipated harvest; once harvesting begins, they receive weekly shares of vegetables and fruit, in a vegetable box scheme. Often, CSAs also include herbs, honey, eggs, dairy products and meat, in addition to conventional produce offerings.

Last edited by thh2705; 09/08/14 04:21 PM.
C
50 to 100 posts
50 to 100 posts
C
I have not personally used a CSA at my camp. I can think of a couple points to consider:

1--Can you get sufficient quantities to prepare at least one dish for you camp? You need 4 ounces per person for most vegetables. That's 25 pounds per 100 persons. Will the CSA be able to support you need?

2--How will the offerings from the CSA tie into the camp menu? Many camps run a one- or two-week menu. Does your administration give you the flexibility to change the menu based on what you receive? Remember that you're going to receive produce that's in season, which varies by location, altitude, etc.

3--Cost is going to be a big factor. How does the weekly cost for the CSA fit into your food budget? Do you need additional labor to prepare the vegetables?

4--You need to do your research. What CSAs are available? Do they deliver the larger quantities? Or does the camp have to pick each delivery up?

Try these link from ChefTalk.com:

http://www.cheftalk.com/t/45387/csas-whats-the-skinny
http://www.cheftalk.com/t/54054/csas-love-em-hate-em

Moderated by  tom 

Link Copied to Clipboard