Rate Thread
#9470 10/27/02 08:31 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Does this guy hit most of the East Coast camps?

I work at Tyler Hill Camp and I've been doing his square dancing for over 15 years when I started as a camper and loving every second of it! From Montego Bay to Amos Cotton Eye Joe to Popcorn, this guy delivers it all!

And you cant forget about Sue Flego, complete with cowboy hat demonstrating a "roll that girl with a half sachay!"

Anyone else familar with Lou and his square dancing?

#9471 10/27/02 10:16 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I work at Timberlake, I love Lou Flego he made square dancing so fun !

#9472 10/27/02 11:02 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
LOU FLEGO BEST GUY EVER!!! my camp is obsessed with him he has been coming every summer for years. amos is a favorite at my camp and of course cotton eyed joe, montego bay and popcorn!! lol i love lou!!! and sue is so funny w/the outfits she wears. have u ever done the alamand thar and the grand square? haha all of his stuff gets pretty hard. i have even spoken to him on the phone once!

#9473 10/27/02 11:39 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Alamand Thar, gents back up you got a star, guys are back and girls are forward forward forward. now shoot that star and find your PARTNER and say Grand Right (GRAND RIGHT) weave it in and out, Find your partner pass her by....

LOL I love Lou! He totally rocks the house every summer!

#9474 10/28/02 11:23 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
everybody face your partner, give your right hand to your partner say GRAND RIGHT!

side couples face your partner...grand square, 1234, 1234, 1234, 12 reverse it go 1234, 1234, 1234, 12, how many are home???

star through...and one of my camp's favorites...
step to an ocean wave, guys circulate, girls circulate, ALL 8 CIRCULATE!!!

#9475 10/29/02 11:36 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I don't know if the guys name was Lou F, but we did have a husband and wife team come to our camp and sing and dance and it was cute for the first few years, then once I turned like 13 it just got horribly embarressing.

#9476 10/29/02 08:14 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
i don't think it was lou lol...he doesn't sing haha and this is square dancing so its co-ed and not embarrassing at all just fun, its not like little kids dances even though the little kids do an easier version. its also line dances.

#9477 10/29/02 09:18 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I always found that the younger the camper is, the les they wanted to do square Dancing. I guess it has to do with the whole "pairing with girls" that they didnt quite enjoy. i know as I got older, it became much more fun, especially during the competition!! As a counselor, we have Lou come during Orientation too, so its just counselors having a FANTASTIC time!! One of the best nights in camp!!

The older campers love it too, becuase they've been doing this for a good 6-8 years and have plenty of experience!

#9478 10/29/02 10:56 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
yeah scotty b!!! i agree w/what u said about the younger kids not wanting to as much but when they start they have a good time! and then by the next summer they already have their squares all planned out, and they learn to love it!

#9479 10/30/02 03:12 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Ok, i'll bite. Who in the world is Lou Flego?

#9480 10/30/02 08:53 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Lou is a former educater (I think) that tours East Coast camps during the summer to do square dancing with the campers. One day is dedicated to teaching the steps, the next day is practice and some line dances and at night, our camp holds a competition for all age groups (Lower, Middle and Upper camp)

Its always a fun time when Lou and Sue come to town!!!

#9481 10/30/02 08:58 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Your kidding right. Campers and Staff actually get into it? Impressive...

#9482 10/30/02 10:40 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
i'll say it again: LOU FLAGO COOLEST GUY EVER! he's a square dance caller. he used to be the superintendent of nassau county schools on long island(i think, i might have the position wrong, he could have been the athletic director lol) anyway at my camp its pretty much the same as scottyb's...
the first day is all learning the steps and a line dance, the second day is learning more steps and another line dance, and a competition at night for each age group, 2 at a time: 3rd/4th graders, 5th/6th graders, 7th/8th graders, and 9th/10th graders. he also comes and works with the counselors during orientation. yes the campers and counselors get unbelievably into it. its one of the best nights of camp, by the time we get to camp on the first day everyone is talking about who is going to be in their square for square dancing. the younger kids are randomly put into squares and the older ones get to choose. if u get a chance to have lou come to your camp, TAKE IT!!!

#9483 10/31/02 05:35 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I just wanted to give props to whoever started this thread....it absolutely made my day.

Growing up, at Bar Mitzvahs and the like, I was always uncomfortable dancing; and when I saw square dancing on the staff orientation program (Lou came to work with the staff before the campers arrived) I started thinking of ways to get out of it.

I had so much fun doing it, once I got rid of my worry about how I looked (we all looked ridiculous) and started dancing.

There's a smile on my face now!

Quote:
Originally posted by camper:
i'll say it again: LOU FLAGO COOLEST GUY EVER! he's a square dance caller. he used to be the superintendent of nassau county schools on long island(i think, i might have the position wrong, he could have been the athletic director lol) anyway at my camp its pretty much the same as scottyb's...
the first day is all learning the steps and a line dance, the second day is learning more steps and another line dance, and a competition at night for each age group, 2 at a time: 3rd/4th graders, 5th/6th graders, 7th/8th graders, and 9th/10th graders. he also comes and works with the counselors during orientation. yes the campers and counselors get unbelievably into it. its one of the best nights of camp, by the time we get to camp on the first day everyone is talking about who is going to be in their square for square dancing. the younger kids are randomly put into squares and the older ones get to choose. if u get a chance to have lou come to your camp, TAKE IT!!!

#9484 11/01/02 01:33 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
thats the best aprt about it!

No ones around to say how silly you look! Of course if you tell all this square dancing stuff to a non-camp going person, they will probably laugh in your face and call it "Stupid" But I betcha $10 if they had the opportunity to do it, they would and in a heartbeart, would love every second of it

I feel like calling Lou up now seeing if he can come over to my house to do some line dances!

(I actually have Popcorn and Montego Bay downloaded on my computer!)

Quote:
Originally posted by Canuck:
I just wanted to give props to whoever started this thread....it absolutely made my day.

Growing up, at Bar Mitzvahs and the like, I was always uncomfortable dancing; and when I saw square dancing on the staff orientation program (Lou came to work with the staff before the campers arrived) I started thinking of ways to get out of it.

I had so much fun doing it, once I got rid of my worry about how I looked (we all looked ridiculous) and started dancing.

There's a smile on my face now!

#9485 11/02/02 12:11 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
lol canuck thats right lou and sue are nothing like a bar mitzvah b/c its not like your family plus a bunch of strangers sees u its just camp people! although i must say i do love bar and bat mitzvahs too they are just different from square dancing! at my camp we don't even look rediculous w/lou any more its just part of camp and mostly everyone already knows how to do his moves!

#9486 11/17/02 11:54 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
It's really funny, but the "coolest" of the "to cool" campers love when Lou comes to town! I had some big apprehension about it then Lou came to our staff training and it was SO SO much fun! Who'd of though square dancing could be fun. We have a big competition at the end of Lou's visit to crown the square dance camps!

#9487 11/17/02 11:57 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
 Quote:
Originally posted by Yoda:
It's really funny, but the "coolest" of the "to cool" campers love when Lou comes to town! I had some big apprehension about it then Lou came to our staff training and it was SO SO much fun! Who'd of though square dancing could be fun. We have a big competition at the end of Lou's visit to crown the square dance camps!

What camp do you work at? Is it in Wayne County?

#9488 11/18/02 06:04 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
lou rocks!!! wayne county rocks!

#121777 07/25/13 09:50 AM
J
jplotty
Unregistered
jplotty
Unregistered
J
i went to camp for 15 years and am now a director of special events at Camp Tioga in Thompson, Pennsylvania and i have experienced sue and lou for many years. for those years it was easily one of the biggest highlights of every summer, if possible can somebody help me out and send me the contact information for lou flego as i would love to bring his square dancing experience to Camp Tioga

thanks,

Jeremy

#121891 08/21/13 01:45 PM
2,000 to 2,500 posts
2,000 to 2,500 posts
I work at Bryn Mawr... (btw, love seeing the addition of lots of east coast camp people).

We have hired a couple for years who do square dancing, they had to cancel this summer. We might be looking for someone new, if Lou Flego goes to Tyler Hill every summer... he could definitly travel up the road to Bryn Mawr. Does someone have his contact info?

- Teenster :cool:

ISU PRIDE!

Caring - Competent - Confident
#124535 09/15/14 02:40 PM
2,000 to 2,500 posts
2,000 to 2,500 posts
Does anyone have contact information for Lou Flego? Thanks.

- Teenster

ISU PRIDE!

Caring - Competent - Confident

Moderated by  tom 

Link Copied to Clipboard