Rate Thread
M
MisterRoberto
Unregistered
MisterRoberto
Unregistered
M
Good day all,

I am trying to find out more information about potentially doing all cooking and baking from scratch. Right now, I would say 75% or more of our cooking is from scratch; however, our desserts and breads are generally not. Bread is usually purchased from a bakery and our desserts are mixes. Are there any camps that do all their own baking, etc. If so, how is the kitchen staffed? What is the cost? Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Best,

Roberto

L
150 to 200 posts
150 to 200 posts
L
My old camp in Maine had a full time baker and the kids loved him! Home made treats really add to the quality of the meals. Back at my old camp I as just senior staff with out access to the budget but here is what I know.

They paid him a salary and there was only one baker. (He worked at a college in the winter and the camp in the summer.)

The food cost was similar or lower. The baker was very skilled and knew how to not waist product. As always cooking from scratch with a skilled staff is always cheaper than buying premade items.

It just comes down to if the staff is skilled enough to keep cost low and what they want in return.

There is a the benefit of higher quality food which dose equal higher camper return rates.

Moderated by  tom 

Link Copied to Clipboard