Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
50 to 100 posts
OP Offline
50 to 100 posts
I'm new to these forums and forums in general so I thought it would be a good idea to throw a question out there to other camp staff. How are you preparing for camp this summer?

Personally, I was moved up the ranks from Counselor to Group leader which is a nice pay raise but on the downside, I have to get a new group of children. (For the record Ive been with the same group for 2 years in a row and had great memories and moments with all of them) A little bit sad, but, on the flip side a little more responsibility and a whole new group of kids to get to know which should be fun. In terms of preparation, I got a certification in CPR/AED for Professional rescuers through the American Red Cross (BTW the class was amazing I learned a lot and the instructor was awesome!) other than that, I haven't really done too much except count down the days and remember all the unforgettable memories from past years working at camp.

Anyways, Looking forward to some replies, possibly? Thanks

Most days, I cannot tell you what the date is but I can tell you how many days until camp starts!!
2,000 to 2,500 posts
2,000 to 2,500 posts
I'm always doing something for camp. In the off season, I prepare the program schedule, the camp calendar, and work on the daily camp bulletins. On the personal end, I always have to do some shopping. This year I had to get some new uniform shorts and new bedding.

A few years ago I made the jump from Group Leader to Director of Programming. It was a fun transition, and I missed my girls. Though the good thing was that my girls were still in camp and I found ways to hang out with them.

- Teenster

ISU PRIDE!

Caring - Competent - Confident
50 to 100 posts
OP Offline
50 to 100 posts
Congratulations on your jump!! I hope the same thing can happen to me as well. Thanks for the reply!!

Most days, I cannot tell you what the date is but I can tell you how many days until camp starts!!
M
More than 3,000 posts
More than 3,000 posts
M
In past years, I worked as a Nature Instructor at camp, and in the off season I was working on new Nature activities for different ages. I usually now all I have to really do is do persoanl shopping for camp

PM me if you want to sign up for the camp buddies for this summmer.
P
150 to 200 posts
150 to 200 posts
P
Nothing really, it's pretty much just packing. I have to buy a new pack this year and get a new sleeping bag (yay Costco).
This year I'm getting those clipboards that open up and you can put stuff in. The last couple years my board and clip clipboard was just a rats nest of stuff.

50 to 100 posts
OP Offline
50 to 100 posts
Thanks for the reply!! I guess you work at an overnight camp then? I have been highly considering working at one next summer, Ive been working at a day camp for the past 3 years and loved it. I want to work at an overnight camp and Ive been a little skeptical about it. Do you think it is worth working at an overnight camp instead?

C
200 to 300 posts
200 to 300 posts
C
I've already start since I have about 28 days until I leave. I've start planning for arts n crafts and also packing.

M
More than 3,000 posts
More than 3,000 posts
M
I would totally say work at an overnight camp-- you will make memories at an overnight camp that you can not make at a day camp.

50 to 100 posts
OP Offline
50 to 100 posts
Thanks for the replies guys, I definitly will be looking at some overnight camps for next summer. Just had orientation for day camp today, had a ton of fun and met my assistant counsellors for the summer who are both nice. Also found out that I am getting most of the same kids for the 3rd year in a row so i can't wait to see them.

M
More than 3,000 posts
More than 3,000 posts
M
I would suggest checking out new camps around the start of next year, and applications start around mid-January of each year. Also start to think about what type of residential camp you want to work at-- private, non for profit, boy/girl scout, YMCA, special needs etc.

For camp jobs you can check websites such as campstaff.com and what I did, was also search for camps on the aca website, and I used the one that was for parents looking for camps for their kids, because when I was using the camp jobs listing there were very little available postings, but when I contacted camps that were accredited with the ACA, they said they did have job openings, and they did not know that posting a job on the ACA website was an option.

2,000 to 2,500 posts
2,000 to 2,500 posts
You may want to start looking even earlier. For where I am now, I started looking in November. I was looking for a job that had some admin responsibilities and something those positions go quicker than others.

- Teenster

ISU PRIDE!

Caring - Competent - Confident
50 to 100 posts
OP Offline
50 to 100 posts
OK thanks guys, I've even been scouting out a camp now for next summer which I think is exactly what I need. They still have the application for summer 2015 up so I plan to apply as soon as they start the application for next year. If I don't get that position I am thinking about keeping my job at my current camp because they have been pretty good to me, I just wanted something different, I got promoted to group leader this year so I am hoping that it will be a different experience. Anyway, thanks guys I will definitely be on the lookout, thank-you for that website I never heard of it and I will be checking it out today.

M
More than 3,000 posts
More than 3,000 posts
M
Here is the direct website to find camps that are ACA accredited:
http://find.acacamps.org/

That site is great for finding camps and you can search for camps based on where they are located, weather they are day or overnight camps etc

50 to 100 posts
OP Offline
50 to 100 posts
Marty, thank-you for the campstaff.com, I've been getting emails and phone calls off the charts about working at overnight camps all over the country, its GREAT!!! Thank you sooo much it feels good to know that I will definitely have a spot at an overnight camp next summer. I've been getting some very good offers as well too at some BEAUTIFUL camps. Thank-you

M
More than 3,000 posts
More than 3,000 posts
M
Camp staff is great but also search the aca site as well. You will have more then enough options. I found more solid camp leads when I did a combanation of both campstaff.com and the ACA

Moderated by  tom 

Link Copied to Clipboard