Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
2,000 to 2,500 posts
OP Offline
2,000 to 2,500 posts
Hey guys,

Not sure what the response will be to this question, but it's kind of new so it might get some responses.

I was wondering what your camps did in order to find new staff. I know that most camps use campstaff.com and other websites, but what other networking do you use?

Also, once you get the new staff, how do you support them? Camp the first time can be a scary place. What are some things you do to help them feel at home and not singled out as new staff?

- Teenster

ISU PRIDE!

Caring - Competent - Confident
P
150 to 200 posts
150 to 200 posts
P
Ours doesn't use anything except camp recruiting websites, and they have no program outside staff training for support.

More than 3,000 posts
More than 3,000 posts
I am not sure about currently, but in the past our directors have gone to job fair type things or just visited colleges and set up a table in the student union area, perhaps found ways to get into publications or job search sites through those colleges. They've also posted on the council's and camp's facebook pages about job opportunities I believe.

As far as support I feel it's pretty similar to that offered returning staff, but in that the returning staff also help to support the new staff by offering to answer questions and such on the facebook group before even getting to camp. Once we get to camp we try to not dwell too much on the new/returning thing since everyone already knows who is new/returning and can ask each other. We do things as the staff of that summer, not as new and returning. Actually, last summer I feel like we did have a few sessions where we divided into new/returning for things that we could build on with the returning staff but that we wanted to make sure the new staff had a good solid understanding of (camp philosophy type stuff)

Every summer I have worked there we have included everyone in the training. For things like a scheduling we had returners teach it, but might throw in some new people also so they got to learn ahead of time and then help teach everyone (perhaps something like things to consider when scheduling- having high energy then low energy activities, showers need to happen too... type things) We have always really included new staff in teaching songs and games. At every meal all summer we have staff just jump up to teach/lead a song so in our meals during training we do that too. We welcome new songs and games so if someone already knows one from somewhere else, great! We have a lot of game times in our training and schedule new staff with returners so that they get a chance to either bring in a game they know but have someone to teach them one ahead of time if they need help.

Wow, rambles again! :)

"I'm always pretty happy when I'm at camp with you!"
M
More than 3,000 posts
More than 3,000 posts
M
As far as finding new staff all I know is that many camps do the camp fairs, websites etc. Some do post their open positions on the ACA website for seasonal jobs. However, one problem with the staff websites is alot of camps do not take down their ads when all positions are filled or do not modify their ads when certain positions are filled. At least this used to be the case several years ago. I remember back in the day when I was applying for camps I would go through the long process of checking a camp out, contacting them, and I was interested in working for them and they were interested in me, and I had excellent references, and I would go to apply and get an e-mail stating all positions were filled or they were only looking for female staff to cover the girls cabins.

PM me if you want to sign up for the camp buddies for this summmer.
P
150 to 200 posts
150 to 200 posts
P
More and more camps are using overseas staffing agencies. Camp staff has grown more and more internationally.

M
More than 3,000 posts
More than 3,000 posts
M
I know many camps use international staff more then american staff... The first camp i worked at had 85% international staff 13% american staff from the state the camp was located and 2% (meaning me only) were american and located far away from camp. Some camps I have seen use a 50-50 ration of american and international staff

2,000 to 2,500 posts
OP Offline
2,000 to 2,500 posts
We have staff from all over, both domestic and abroad. We've had a pretty good return rate from our international staff which is surprising because most of the time, those staff members can only come over for one summer.

I think that in general we would like to have more returning domestic staff. We have had some good return rates over the past few summers, we just want to be able to keep core program staff. Most of our program staff members are teachers, but then find something else for following summers. How do you support these program staffers so that they are able to continue to return to camp for years to come?

- Teenster

ISU PRIDE!

M
More than 3,000 posts
More than 3,000 posts
M
In terms of program staff that are teachers who do not return, there may not be a whole lot you can do. Remember that the teachers are usually older, and they may have to teach summer school one summer, or they may be starting a family and may want to raise their young children, or the camp schedule may not be compatible with the school schedule. Also the teachers may want a vacation and the summer is usually the only time they may be able to take one.

I know locally at least some teachers may work at a day camp because usually the camp is compatible with their work schedule-- beinga teacher will pay the bills more then working at camp. As far as a resident camp, being a bit more flexible with allowing staff to leave a week or so early if needed so the teachers do not have to choose between camp and their other job,

2,000 to 2,500 posts
OP Offline
2,000 to 2,500 posts
I agree, marty.

I think in general our schedule is pretty flexible. I'm a teacher and have been able to return for eight summers, the directors have been supportive when I've had to come to camp late or leave a few days early.

I think the other problem is that in general, you're working at a summer camp. I remember the first few years I started going to camp as a teacher and having to explain to my fellow teachers and principal what I was doing. Sometimes it's just too hard to explain and sometimes it's just easier to find a different summer job. Then at the same time, some schools aren't as flexible as some camps. I've had fellow staff members who have wanted to return but couldn't because of things they had to do over the summer for their schools.

I think my question really is on the support side of things. Let's say the staff member can come back to camp for the following summer, but won't. What are things that can be done towards the end of the summer to make sure they want to return for another one?

- Teenster

ISU PRIDE!

50 to 100 posts
50 to 100 posts
I thought I would but in with this discussion as someone who is going to school to become a teacher. I feel as though there is 2 reasons why a teacher would want to work summers, either they really like children and camp or they really need money. I feel that the best ways to support teachers and make them want to come back is by offering them time off. This time off is something that teachers need, by this I mean like an extra hour break or a period off. Another way to support them and make them want to come back is probably the most obvious, money and benefits. This one is what keeps me coming back, it doesn't even need to be that dramatic. Maybe a $200 raise every year you return. Also one more thing I completely forgot about that could also help is the chance for moving to different positions at camps, as you may know working at the same place every summer in the same spot gets boring after a few days into camp. You have to keep them moving positions every summer or offering the opportunity to do so. This keeps them fresh and interested in camp, and even offering them the opportunity makes them feel as though they can move around and aren't stuck.

Most days, I cannot tell you what the date is but I can tell you how many days until camp starts!!
2,000 to 2,500 posts
OP Offline
2,000 to 2,500 posts
I agree, ndurante.

I think we do a pretty good job on returning bonus pay. At least I felt that way as I have returned year after year. Unfortunately, there aren't a lot of opportunities to move up in ranks at my camp. We have a lot of established people in the main admin positions. I lucked into my job when someone couldn't come back.

I also agree on the period off thing. I think we have to be careful with the period off idea because of the other times in which we allow staff to have time off. Staff usually get every other night off and a day off each week (Not sure how other camps do it).

This summer we are going to try something called a "mentor period" where myself and one of the assistant directors will work with program directors and provide support. We could be really serious and have a talk about programming or we could even have some fun and visit another program area to participate there. It's still a work in progress. We just want to make sure the staff feel connected and supported at camp, just giving them a period off might not work. With the "mentor period" they kind of have the period off, but at the same time they're doing something.

- Teenster

ISU PRIDE!

M
More than 3,000 posts
More than 3,000 posts
M
I think about the days off thing really depends on how long a camp session is. The camps I voluntered for, were 1 week long and we got no time off at all, while I worked at a camp that had week long sessions we would have weekends off-- from Friday at noon to Sunday at noon, with time off for a few hours at night.

The second camp I worked at had sessions for 10 days off, we had a full 24 hours off each session and 1 extended night off -- from 7 pm to 1 am off and a late night off from 9 pm to 1 am off-- we could not combine a 24 hour off with a late night off.

I would suggest possibly allowing staff to pick their time off at least for the teachers etc you have coming back

2,000 to 2,500 posts
OP Offline
2,000 to 2,500 posts
Because of our rotation system, staff do not get to pick their nights off. Though they can pick their days off.

- Teenster

ISU PRIDE!

Moderated by  tom 

Link Copied to Clipboard