Rate Thread
#128284 08/14/15 08:52 PM
M
marty Offline OP
More than 3,000 posts
OP Offline
More than 3,000 posts
M
Who is back from camp yet? How did camp go this year? What was the good part, the bad part and was there any part of camp that you would rather just forget about?

PM me if you want to sign up for the camp buddies for this summmer.
2,000 to 2,500 posts
2,000 to 2,500 posts
I got back about a week ago. I had to return two days early because of an issue at school. The issue wasn't resolved when and how it should have been, so coming back early from camp wasn't really needed. I had to miss banquet and some other end of the summer traditions, which was very frustrating. It was also an odd feeling to be back at home knowing that camp was still going on.

Camp in general went very well. The weather worked in our favor for most of the summer. I felt we had a great program staff who worked hard and were truly there for the campers. I hope many of them return for another summer.

- Teenster

ISU PRIDE!

Caring - Competent - Confident
More than 3,000 posts
More than 3,000 posts
That is frustrating Teenster! I'm glad camp went well for you!

I got back about an hour and a half ago. I had 9 straight weeks of day campers (but within a resident camp so I also had evening responsibilities a little bit), which was a change of pace for me. Overall it was a great summer with a great staff. Some interesting moments for sure, but overall a really quality staff. It hasn't fully sunk in yet that I'm home for good now. Although, next summer will be my 15th summer at this camp so I better be there, I just have to think about and talk with the directors about what position.

"I'm always pretty happy when I'm at camp with you!"
M
marty Offline OP
More than 3,000 posts
OP Offline
More than 3,000 posts
M
I went to a one week camp and I had a way better experience then 2014. We did have some issues and one of them was the food-- the amount of food during meals were bad, the quality of food sucked at times-- one meal was unidentifiable, and I posted some of the pictures of that meal on facebook, and I got no positive remarks--- only negative.

50 to 100 posts
50 to 100 posts
Camp went great this summer, definitely my favorite year. Had a lot of setbacks however, I had 2 counselors, one was okay but the other was extremely lazy and did next to nothing the whole year, he didn't interact with kids or really do much at all, he would just sit there and watch the kids which sometimes he did not do. In addition to my bad counselor, I had the worst kid in camp in my group as well as a new child who was anti-social and would cause trouble every chance he got. I wish I had the original group of kids I was assigned to 4 years ago, I still have about 75% of the same kids but the additional kids that have came in the group have done nothing but cause problems. The original kids were and still are awesome and they are the ones that make me want to come back every summer.

I do have an announcement to make!!!
I was recently offered a job at an overnight camp in Texas which I accepted. From NJ, thats a 28 hour drive, but Ill do it for camp. It also starts and ends about a month earlier then my day camp so I'll still get to work at my current camp but at a different position than counselor. My camp season now went from 2 months to 3 months. I already cant wait for summer 2016!!!!!

Most days, I cannot tell you what the date is but I can tell you how many days until camp starts!!
M
marty Offline OP
More than 3,000 posts
OP Offline
More than 3,000 posts
M
Congratulations on the job offer! I hope you have a great time next year at camp.

I have an announcement as well. I am taking on a new role at my camp. I am on the camp committee and recruitment committee. We need some help in that area at camp, as we need some help with getting new activities at camp, improving the food and we always need new volunteers at camp, and I want to improve our camps retention rate for male volunteers-- we usually range from replacing 40-50% of our male volunteers most years. If we can keep more of our male volunteers, we dont have to do as much work getting more volunteers, and we dont have to be short 10 or more volunteers every year.

Moderated by  tom 

Link Copied to Clipboard