How would you define dumbass?

#34198 03/30/04 12:08 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
wow am i missing something???? i haven't really been reading too many posts lately, is there one in specific that everyone is fired up about???

or just... normal everyday canuckness??? (which can be good or bad, depending on who you are)

#34199 03/30/04 12:10 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
 Quote:
Originally posted by Wilderness Mama:
wow am i missing something???? i haven't really been reading too many posts lately, is there one in specific that everyone is fired up about???

or just... normal everyday canuckness??? (which can be good or bad, depending on who you are)
Quick answer: the "How Rich are you" subject. Recomendation: don't bother unless you have nothing else fruitful to occupy yourself with.

#34200 03/30/04 12:22 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Okay, in my opinion, this is totally unappropriate. I know this has the potential to turn into another censorship/free speech argument, but I think this subject is out of line. I know there are arguments going on in other posts over actual issues, but a personal attack like this, whether deserved or not, has no point. This is just worthless name calling that is only going to stir up more fighting and resentment on this board. If you have a problem with someone, why not PM them or bring it up in a more appropriate manner than just posting it here to create even more bickering? Remember about a week ago when "whatsthereason" was bashing camp and attacking all of us for working there? This can be likened to that- name calling and accusations with no reasoning or point.

#34201 03/30/04 12:59 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
grow up already

#34202 03/30/04 01:03 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
See, GSCounselor is right. That is 100% inappropriate for this message board setting. It ranks right up there with Canuck's insults towards freaky. Can't we just keep it clean folks? \:\(

#34203 03/30/04 01:04 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Shoot, I mean I go to camp for an Admin meeting and you guys get all fired up about an anti american "Loaded" Canuck comment.

For the Reccord, Canuck is NOT a DUMB*%# in my mind. Maybe a HOSER, not a dumb*$@ tho...

#34204 03/30/04 01:04 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
yea and the lanugage, my virgin ears, er eyes...

#34205 03/30/04 01:05 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
for someone who said "i'm out", they are doing a lot of posting

#34206 03/30/04 01:10 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Well I agree my post is immature, but I feel many post on this board are very ignorant and dumb. So instead of, like many people, of having the match of the minds, which really don't get to the point of the subject, I just wrote it out in a to the point, direct way. I was not trying to have people post angerly to this post. I just feel my post is as similar to others who post on here and as valid.

#34207 03/30/04 01:39 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
 Quote:
Originally posted by Stan Marsh:
yea and the lanugage, my virgin ears, er eyes...
hey off subject... but one of my campers cussed in the company of two other campers... and the one was all WHOA MY VIRGIN EARS!!!! and then the other camper was all... what's a virgin??? that would be about the time i stepped in and stopped THAT convo cold...

LOL. :-D

#34208 03/30/04 03:38 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I don't think Canuck is a dumbass. He/she is probably pretty smart, probably too smart for his/her own good.

If I'm to be honest here I do think that Canuck is: rude, insensitive, sarcastic, mean, condescending, antagonistic, closed-minded, and judgemental in regards to the things that he/she writes on this board. He/she may be a completely different person in person...possibly even a person that I would be friends with at camp and would enjoy those fun, heated camp debates with.

I have had many negative run-ins with Canuck over the years on this board and some of the things he have said have been so inappropriately personal and mean that it has almost kept me from posting here on a regular basis.

There is a difference between having friendly discussions and arguing with people just to prove your intellectual superiority.

I think this board is some sort of proving ground for Canuck...that he/she thinks that it is some sort of battle of the wits, that he/she must win at all costs...even if he/she must resort to personal attacks.

In my opinion the negative interactions with Canuck outweight the positive interactions overwhelmingly.

#34209 03/30/04 03:57 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Can someone please explain to me the usefulness of this thread? I am having a hard time seeing what any of us are going to learn from flaming someone. If he/she says something inflamitory, why not try ignoring them, instead of acting like a baby? Now, can we go back to acting like counselors and less like middle school kids?

#34210 03/30/04 04:11 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
:sighs: Ok, for what it's worth, here's my $0.03 (you know, inflation)...anyways

first and foremost, I'm saddenend to see how the board has just erupted in such open hostility in the past few days. I went away to camp for a visit and I was excited to come back and talk camp-talk with you guys and here it is, open hostility and all these polls.....and the title of this thread?? Totally inappropriate, IMO.....
this board has always been a board that I've looked forward to reading, because everyone has almost always been so supportive and happy and helpful...it's like a camp family on the web and that's awesome. This open hostility and inappropriate name-calling is ripping the board apart, and that's not cool.....

Secondly, we are a country founded on the right to free speech. Granted, free speech should be handled with tact, and in that respect, I think that Canuck is in the wrong, but those that respond back with such low name-calling is just as wrong. We don't fight ignorance with ignorance, or names with names.....We should know that by now, for the most part, we are all adults...I had Brownies at camp last summer that handled confrontation and problems better than some of the people I've seen here....

Lastly, I am an American, and I am proud to be an American, and when anti-American stuff is done, or said, or such, it does bother me, but I don't go out and call someone names right back....we aren't perfect, and IMO, anyone that thinks we as a country are perfect is ignorant. Sorry, but it's true (IMO). Having spent time overseas and out of the country, living as a native of the country I was in (it was an exchange program) I could walk down the street and pick out the Americans before they ever opened their mouths. We are arrogant, hypocritical and ignorant (at times, and some people) for example, we sit and talk about how people coming to this country should speak english (people visiting or living here) but then we go to other countries and expect them to speak English for us. If you are so big about speaking English in America, you should practice what you preach when you visit other countries. I've seen Americans walk down the street, cutting people off, taking way too much space (physically or with their things) and basically being rude beyond comparison. It was times like that when I was happy with the fact that I could speak the language of the country I was in, so then I wasn't identified with the "rude Americans". Our country, as a country has done some incredible things, and has many reasons to be proud. My father fought in the Navy, as did his father. I've got close high school friends that are serving in the service as we speak, and know of many others that are fighting for our country and that is an incredible sacrifice they are making. I am proud of the fact that I am a citizen of a country with such outstanding and giving people that they'd give their lives for the lives of people they'd never know. I appreciate the fact that I have many liberties that I wouldn't otherwise have, and for that I am grateful, but I'm not blind to the problems that we have, and although it hurts me when people point them out in such tactless ways, I know that the facts are simple, we aren't perfect. I just like to respond in more productive ways, such as educating people as to how we're seeing in other countries, what we do that makes us seem so bad, and what we can do to fix the situation.

I appreciate the fact that Canuck has brought some issues to light, just not in the manner that they were. However, I just wish that some people here would have more tact to respond in better ways. I respect the opinions of almost everyone on this board, whether I agree with them or not. I see you all as my extended camp family and my friends and I have a respect for you and your opinions. However I may disagree with your actions....

My mom used to say to me, and it's stuck with me a long time, "I don't always have to like you, but I will always love you"

Just my (long-winded) $0.03
..::Mandie::..

#34211 03/30/04 10:39 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Mandie, thanks for the support. I think a lot of the problem might be that some don't feel I'm qualified to be critical because I am not American - but it's appropriate for Yanks to criticize themselves.

Guys, you can call it a stereotype if you want - but I've done some travelling, and many of the things Madie is saying actually do occur.

#34212 03/30/04 10:47 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I think we found out who really is whatsthereason ;\) Anyway folks lets stop trying to get personal and yes we don't have to read these topics but still.

#34213 03/30/04 11:07 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Nope, it wasn't me. Stan should be able to confirm that.

#34214 03/30/04 11:52 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Oh, I didn't think it was you Canuck. Refer back to the first post of this topic.

#34215 03/30/04 12:50 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
 Quote:
Originally posted by Canuck:
Mandie, thanks for the support. I think a lot of the problem might be that some don't feel I'm qualified to be critical because I am not American - but it's appropriate for Yanks to criticize themselves.
Canuck, youre welcome, but can you just do me a tiny favor and try a little more tact when you make said comments, because that did bother me a bit, much as it did the others...

#34216 03/30/04 01:31 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Again, the problem isn't that you criticize America Canuck- it's simply that you do it constantly, with never a positive thing to say about it. Think of it this way; would you appreciate it if somebody started criticizing Judaism on a regular basis? I have a feeling if I did you'd be complaining as much if not more than those of us that are Americans and sick of hearing about what you think is wrong with us.

#34217 03/30/04 02:50 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Boomy, everyone else has moved on - why can't you?

#34218 03/30/04 03:20 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
so... i'm now up to date.

i've read all the posts and the replies, i've seen everyone's reactions, and i must say...

i think we're all a bit immature.

also. canuck is not a dumbass. he has, in the past, presented plenty of valid, logical good arguments, and also provided many good pointers and presented his opinions well. He may have gone a bit overboard on the anti-american thing for soem people's tastes, or some people may just be too sensitive... it doesn't matter. i think we should let it all blow over, calm down, and remember that camp is only 2 months away!!!!

#34219 03/30/04 07:04 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
On the contrary...I don't think it's immature to say something when somebody is bothering you. This is a public form...opinions are going to be communicated publicly. It's better to get it out in the open than to hold it all in. And, if many other people on the board feel the same way then there must be some validity to the feelings.

I think there is a reason for this recent outburst of "hostility" on this board and that is because the majority of people on this board have been VERY patient with Canuck and they have been holding it in. Now it's coming out and it's coming out in full force.

I've been thinking about something else, as well. I think my biggest problem with Canuck is that he/she seems to derive some sort of pleasure out of causing a rise out of people. He/she seems to enjoy seeing people get upset through their writing. Getting pleasure from others' pain is just wrong and I honestly think that is a strong motivation for many of the derogatory remarks that Canuck posts on this board.

#34220 03/30/04 07:54 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I dont think that canuck is at all a dumba** He's prestented many logical points. Sure, he gets a fired up discussion going sometimes, but we all have our right to say what we want. Sure, he could do it more tactfully, but it's who he is. So, lets all just drop it, he adds some character to our message board.
~Jiff

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  tom 

Link Copied to Clipboard