Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
#48619 12/21/04 12:53 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Well, it would seem that some people on this board have just finished a basic critical thinking/Logic class, my hats off to ya (you should know who I am talking about). I must say that the issue of camp names is not really all that important, after all camps have been using camp names for years and I don't think this practice had much of an impact on the lives of people i.e. a child hasen't climb to the top of the water tower yet...I must say, the argument of "camp names are [can be]harmful" hasen't been well defended. If your camp favors tradition (which I must admit, I am pretty biased to follow tradition) and uses camp names, good for them. If you disagree, work for another camp. I must go on to say the statement of "some traditions suck" has got to be one of the most lowbrow statements I have ever seen on this board. No one forces you to follow tradition....
P.s. IF you wish to debate me, just IM me, I welcome the challenge.

#48620 12/21/04 12:56 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I also tell my campers that I'm seven and a half years old.

Every summer.

#48621 12/21/04 12:56 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
dramatic...okay if you say so.

all i want to say is i don't really see what the big deal is. a name is a name...nickname, real name, camp name. all that really matters is that the campers have a great time at camp, and i really don't see how using a camp name changes that.

why does it matter if camp names are used? camp names, in my opinion are fun! you get to name yourself, something i am sure none of us got to do...we were given our names.

what is all this drama about? i have read the posts and don't see the point of the anti-camp names thing.

you want a debate, fine. it wasn't debating in the first place, i was just putting in my 2-cents in.

the truth of the matter is, one little post isn't going to change anyones mind about the use of camp names...why can't we use our energy on something else...something that will benefit campers.

call me dramatic...i don't give a hoot. stop getting all huffy-puffy about this, everyone just needs to relax \:\)

#48622 12/21/04 01:03 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
 Quote:
Originally posted by TedRocks:
Why don't you tell why they are bad?
You can't be serious. Oh, you are, aren't you? Worst.

Look: Using a fake name is denying a level of closeness that a counselor is trying to achieve through bonding with their campers. It has NO use, except that it's "tradition." Camp names allow people to hide behind cute personas, rather than let their entire character shine, flaws and all. This has been posted NUMEROUS times. No one has actually said why camp names are beneficial, though their detrimental reasons have been listed.

#48623 12/21/04 01:31 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Gizmo, I disagree and feel that the issue of camp names isn't unimportant. If it was, I wouldn't be discussing this. The issue of "some traditions suck..." you are significantly oversimplifying something and that's contrary to the purpose of discourse. Moreover, the mentality that you oversimplified was in response to the main proponents of camp names who, for the most part, only seem to believe that camp names are a good idea because they are part of a tradition.

The issue of traditions has been raised in a seperate thread but I'd like to know what you feel is wrong with the "some traditions suck" idea? The fact is that some traditions are not good. Traditions of hazing, for example, is not a good thing. Some camps have initiations that involve hazing. So I'm left to think that since you don't feel that a tradition can suck that hazing must be okay since it's a tradition.

I don't believe that every tradition has to be deeply meaningful. Traditions add to the texture of camp and I love the meaningless traditions. But I really don't know what your problems is with examining the traditions that may be potentially negative to see if it's time to eliminate them. My sentiment and other's sentiments regarding tradition was simply posted in response to the "well, it's a tradition" mentality.

#48624 12/21/04 01:38 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Sweatpea, you're the one who brought up the debate issue. And I don't think that this is a little thing. I think it's a legitimate issue. As for your statement that "all that matters is that campers have a great time at camp", this is why I am trying to dig into this issue. I think that camp is a lot more about kids having a great time for a few weeks. It's about growth, emotional development, and gaining skills to succeed in life.

It is because of this that I don't like camp names. I believe that camp names thwart this development. I'll state it very clearly again (for some people who don't think that a point has been made). Camp is about relationship building. It's about honesty, openness, self realization, and so on. I believe that when trying to develop that relationship, some people will have problems when they are using fake names. As far as the self development and growth goes, when you have this made up name, you can promote a lack of true honesty with ones self.

#48625 12/21/04 02:12 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
 Quote:
Originally posted by Canuck:
I'd just like to point out that Boomis, Northwoods, and me are all on the same page here. Does anyone else really have a chance in this debate?
i didn't start it

what if i camper camp to camp with a camp name, would you feel there was a lesser conection with them because they liked to be called by a different name?
frankly, this is to much drama for me. i joined this message board to learn from other camp staffers. sure, debating and having convos is great, i love it...but frankly i just don't care right now to keep going back and forth on this issue.

i have said it once, and i will say it again...no ones mind is going to be changed on this "issue" by our posts.

i am out of this post. call me a quiter, a whiner, a drama queen, a weakling...i don't give a care in the world what you call me because i know who i am, i am sweet pea / s.p. / pea that is sweet / pea pod / petite pois / a.j. / joey / string bean / bic / lobster / miss steinbring - same person with a ton of names!

#48626 12/21/04 02:37 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
so, hear's one reason not to use your real name; stalker-campers. if a camper knows your name (and this has happened to one person i know), it's not too hard to get your address. while generally this is okay, there are some campers out there that you don't want to be in contact with, or...it brings up the same issuses as giving campers your address or email, except there is a level of added creepyness because, well, you didn't.

It also brings up privacy issues about your life outside of camp. if a camper learns your name, discovers that you are actually a dirty romance novelist (??), even if you are and were an upstanding counselor, it would reflect badly on the camp (granted, they hired you) even if it shouldn't. and possibly traumatize the camper. It brings up questions of how much your outside life (assuming you have one) is or is not part of camp.

Someone else mentioned parents calling up and harassing staff.

These are about as likely as someone being traumatized by the use of a nickname.

#48627 12/21/04 03:45 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Wow. I posted on Saturday, and we're already on page three. We're passionate, all right!

After reading all three pages, I decided that I would never be able to convince anti-camp namers that camp names are NOT bad, especially Boomis, Canuck, and Northwoods. (No disrespect there- I think you are doing well by your opinions to post here.) I decided instead to post reasons SUPPORTING camp names.

1. Anonymity and privacy. As mentioned several times before, campers DO come too close for comfort sometimes. Usually this contact can be managed and is often welcome, but there are some campers I didn't give my home address to because I didn't want them showing up on my doorstep. Nothing personal against those campers- I still loved them just as much as their tabinmates- but I don't give my home address out. Period. If a camper knew my real name, the entire purpose behind that privacy wall would be moot.

2. Authority. At my camp, only PAs, CITs, and staff have camp names. Campers know EXACTLY who they must listen to by saying the person's name. This is very helpful, as our PAs are in 8th grade and we get many 8th-10th grade campers who would be indistinguishible from the PAs and CITs for the younger campers.

3. The Guessing Game. Sometimes the intent of using camp names is simply to give the campers a challenge. I DO tell campers my real name if they write to me afterwards, but not during the camp session. If a camper GUESSES my name, I may tell them they are right on the last day. Sometimes I give little hints during the week as rewards for good behavior or as a part of the guessing game. It's all in good fun, really- I have never seen a camper crying because their counselor would not tell them her real name. If it's that big an issue with a camper, staff members will tell them their real names. This makes the camper feel that much more special, because they know and no one else does. So there's a double self-esteem boost for all the psych majors out there. \:\)

4. Closeness. I was raised, as most Americans are, to use the formal first name for friends and the respectful "Mr" etc. format for adults. Close friends got a nickname. Sometimes they chose it, sometimes I did. Either way, we were both happy with the name and felt comfortable using it. I felt WAY closer to a friend after being allowed to use a nickname and was that much more likely to come to them for help when I needed it. I experienced this same increased closeness with my counselors as a camper. (I've gone as a camper from age 8 to 18.) Camp names are not only easier to remember, but they made me feel instantly more friendly with my counselors. Even though I had only known them for a few minutes, I felt more comfortable approaching them for help.

5. Pronunciation. This too has been mentioned before. My camp's counseling staff is composed almost half of internationals. Many of them told me their names as I left CIT, and I couldn't pronounce most of what I heard without writing it down first. If I can't do it, I can't imagine an 8-year-old succeeding.

I thought that I would also explain the original reasons for using camp names as it was explained to me. Way back when camps were small and travel was hard over long distances, teachers and other adults in the local community would volunteer to be staff. To make the camper who got her teacher as her counselor feel less like she was in a classroom and to increase her comfort level being herself (not her quiet "six inch voice" SCHOOL self, but her loud, crazy SUMMER self), the teacher would pick a camp name. Now the camper wouldn't be as afraid to speak to her counselor in a more free manner, as opposed to the normal teacher-student relationship.

I hope that was comprehensible... it's late and I'm tired, so please ask and I shall clarify if needed. :p

#48628 12/21/04 08:22 AM
C
150 to 200 posts
150 to 200 posts
C
Wow- three pages on this! :-) There are many traditions inherent in camps. The traditions embodied in the culture of a specific camp are part of what makes that camp special. Many of you understand that camp is awfully difficult to explain to someone who has not lived the life of a camp staff person. The value of camp names- like other traditions- is probably difficult to appreciate if a person has not worked in a setting that uses them. I don't think it is important that people agree with the concept of using camp names here- that isn't the purpose of this board. I do think people should respect the fact that some camps use them and some do not. Would it be acceptable for everyone to agree to disagree?

Camp is not a place; it is a way of life.
#48629 12/21/04 11:13 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Privacy? I don't get the whole privacy issue with names and having a camp name. I mean as a staff person if you feel you need some privacy from the campers by keeping your real name private from the kids I hope you're not a teacher. It goes to figure that if you are worried about you're privacy with kids then you'd be worried about it at a school teaching kids. I.e, if you're worried about campers finding out where you are won't you be worried about students finding out where you are as well? Your campers are your students during the summer. Yes, as a counselor you are a "teacher".

Sharing your real name is a sign of respect. I feel camp names are fine, but as I've stated that your real given name should not be withheld. Not handing out addresses is fine.

Anyway, I'm losing my train of thought right now so I'm going to sign off of this topic.

Again camp names are fine in my opinion as long as you are willing to share your real name.

#48630 12/21/04 11:32 AM
2,000 to 2,500 posts
2,000 to 2,500 posts
 Quote:
Originally posted by Mainer:
Privacy? I don't get the whole privacy issue with names and having a camp name. I mean as a staff person if you feel you need some privacy from the campers by keeping your real name private from the kids I hope you're not a teacher. It goes to figure that if you are worried about you're privacy with kids then you'd be worried about it at a school teaching kids. I.e, if you're worried about campers finding out where you are won't you be worried about students finding out where you are as well? Your campers are your students during the summer. Yes, as a counselor you are a "teacher".
Just a quick response to this. Campers get a lot closer to their counselor, than students to teachers. Counselors live with their campers, and there is a lot more conntact, you see these kids 24/7. A teacher only sees his/her students for about 7 hours a day, or less. I do think that if there was "stalking" issue, a camper would be more likely to "stalker" their counlser, and not their teacher.

I have had problems with privacy, and the camp names do help. Two summers ago I gave my e-mail address to two campers that I got pretty close to. We started e-mailing, and that was fine. On my e-mail, the topic heading said it was sent by Tina. So, those two campers found out my real name (they didn't ask at camp), no big deal. Then a few weeks later my cell phone rang with a number that I had never seen before... it was one of the campers, they had done a quick search on the internet... and they got all of my information. Then the campers gave my number to some of their other camper friends, and they started to call. One day I got phone calls from about four campers. This also happened with my aim screen name, so I had to change that. For the most part everything has slowed down, but I still get a phone call every now and then, so I ignore it. It's not like I don't like talking to campers during the off season, but this was an extreme... there needs to be some space.

I totally get the privacy thing. Not sure if this has happened to anyone else (with or without a camp name) but it is crazy.

- Teenster

ISU PRIDE!

Caring - Competent - Confident
#48631 12/21/04 12:10 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Here's something to wonder about. If staff are able to have camp names what about the campers? Are your CIT's staff or campers what are they labeled as? I mean the majority are under 18 thus not an adult. What about the kids privacy? Where does privacy begin and end? Who decides what is private or not? Where does the trust start? Respect? Honesty?

#48632 12/21/04 12:45 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
SweetPea, although you have taken you ball and went home, I did want to point out the utter ridiculousness of your "what if a camper came to camp with a camp name" comment. First off, I would likely KNOW THAT CAMPERS REAL NAME. Second off, I would not be too hurried to start calling a camper Snowball II or Santa's Little Helper simply because they asked me too. Their parents gave them a name for a reason. If they are proposing a nickname, and it is appropriate and in good fun, then I'd consider it.

Calico, I don't buy the anonymity argument. Our society is not an anonymous society. If camp counselors are like Mary Poppins, where they show-up for the summer and proceed to dissapear from the face of the eart, then I think we have a problem. Would you, as a camper, really want to develop a rapport with someone whom you may never see again?

Your arguments on authority, closeness, and pronounciation, don't suggest why camps can't provide nicknames and tell campers real names. Furthermore, a good staff member should be able to command authority simply because they are a good staff member - not because of some superficial name.

The guessing game argument is an example of another bad tradition that does more harm than good (up there with overly-competitive colour wars that they staff get into moreso than the campers)...on a strict utilitarian scale, the benefits from the guessing does not outweigh the damages it may cause.

#48633 12/21/04 01:03 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
ahhh, well northwoods, it seems you didn't see the forest through the trees. The problem I had with "some traditions suck" is not the fact that some traditions need to be changed or not, as much as it was the fact the statement "Some traditions suck" could have been presented in a batter way. I would like to point out that people have been ripping each other over this, a better more productive debate, would be "how to punish a camper" or "what is the best way to deal with kids who have AS". This whole camp names issue is baseless and utter bunk, after all there is no infomation showing that camp names are in fact harmful nor it there showing they are helpful. I was simply stating that tradition is a good argument FOR the use of camp names. Traditions like "hazing" can be harmful---after all most of us can give examples of the harmful effects of hazing taken too far. However no one has really shown how camp names can be harmful, they are just giving theories on how they are harmful. Oh, and just because people are talking about an issue does not mean that issue is important.

#48634 12/21/04 01:12 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Gizmo, if you don't like the discussion, then don't bother opening the messages. I feel very strongly that camp names can be rather harmful.

#48635 12/21/04 01:33 PM
2,000 to 2,500 posts
2,000 to 2,500 posts
 Quote:
Originally posted by Mainer:
Here's something to wonder about. If staff are able to have camp names what about the campers? Are your CIT's staff or campers what are they labeled as? I mean the majority are under 18 thus not an adult.
CITs (11th-12th grade) and Program aides and assistants (7th-12th grade) have camp names. This is because they are leading a majority of the activities for the younger campers they have. I look at getting a camp name as a right of passage. You get a camp name when you acquire a leadership postion, and CITs and PAs are in a leadership postion. Campers that aren't CITs or PAs don't have camp names. Those campers look forward to the day that they get their camp name... they are really excited about it when it does happen. I have had PAs fight over what camp name they would have. Camp names are a big deal to the campers, well at least at my camp.

- Teenster

ISU PRIDE!

#48636 12/21/04 02:07 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
 Quote:
Originally posted by GizmoTheWonderDog:
ahhh, well northwoods, it seems you didn't see the forest through the trees.
Says you. I would say that you are having a problem seeing the forest through the trees due the the very limited view that you have of what is going on here and on what people are saying.

Quote:

The problem I had with "some traditions suck" is not the fact that some traditions need to be changed or not, as much as it was the fact the statement "Some traditions suck" could have been presented in a batter way.
Gizmo, go back and read all the posts that have been written on the tradition argument. Go read the new subject that has emerged on this subject. I think that you'll be able to see that people have been very suscinct in their feelings on tradition. It's clear that people expanded well beyond an argument of "some traditions suck".

Quote:

I would like to point out that people have been ripping each other over this, a better more productive debate, would be "how to punish a camper" or "what is the best way to deal with kids who have AS".
Again, I guess this is why I see that you are not seeing the forest from the trees because I think that this is a big issue. I think that this points directly the concept of self identification and growth, two of the bigger benefits of camp.

Quote:
This whole camp names issue is baseless and utter bunk, after all there is no infomation showing that camp names are in fact harmful nor it there showing they are helpful.
What is the purpose of discourse, then? Should we only be talking about things that we have quantitative proof on? There are many issues that are, at one time, "utter bunk" but people choose to thing, ask and look deeper and realize that it's more then utter bunk. And just because you say it's utter bunk doesn't make it so. I'm putting this out there on the hope that either camp directors at camps with camp names or even staff at such camps think a bit deeper and perhaps pose these questions with professionals. I did and was given the input that with issues like self identification and relationship building, camp names are potentially harmful. Sorry if you are offended that I believe someone with an MSW over you.

Quote:
I was simply stating that tradition is a good argument FOR the use of camp names. Traditions like "hazing" can be harmful---after all most of us can give examples of the harmful effects of hazing taken too far.
Gizmo, you are not the only one here. And people were stating that camp names must be okay because they're a tradition. Tradition, on it's own, is not reason for anything. Tradition should not prevent people from examining that tradition.

Quote:

However no one has really shown how camp names can be harmful, they are just giving theories on how they are harmful. Oh, and just because people are talking about an issue does not mean that issue is important.
Yeah, people have presented theories. Again, do you wish that we only discuss issues with quantitative proof of? Or perhaps you'd like to be the subject cop and anything that Gizmo says is "utter bunk" should be immediately thrown out of discussion. People have given theories and perhaps some people will find it worthwhile to discuss this issue with a variety of professionals. And if you don't feel that this issue is important, there are hundreds of other ones that you can choose to care about.

#48637 12/21/04 02:07 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Teenster, as a teacher, let me assure you I get equally close to some of my students as I do to my campers. After all, I am seeing these students for nine full months, and many of them participate in extracurricular activities that I am also involved in. I may not see them as much as I would see a certain camper in say 2-4 weeks, but I can assure you that I am getting close to them.

Calico I must say very good post there. You definetely marshaled your arguments well and present them in an organized fashion. Now, for the rebuttal. :-)

First, I think the entire privacy argument just doesn't hold water. I think Teenster's example of a camper finding her real name and then getting her cell number is an extreme one; I'm not even sure how they would go about that. Heck, I can't find MY cell number online and I know a lot more about me than just my name. \:\) Anyway, in six summers of camping, I've had plenty of campers email me, but so far none of tried to call me or 'show up on my doorstep', as some of y'all seem to be afraid of. If you are seriously worried about it, the best way to defeat that is to give campers a "camp screen name", one that has no attachments to your real identity and one you only sign on under when you want to talk camp.

Regarding the authority issue, if a staff member cannot make their authority known without having to have a camp name to back it up, they aren't doing a very good job. Even if you have say 8th grade staff members and 8th grade counselors, those young staff members should absolutely not be working with campers their age or older, so the authority issue wouldn't come up. Most campers know who that staff are, and even if they don't, how hard is it to tell them once? Not very.

In re to the guessing game, I play it with kids all the time. The difference is, I usually run with a "Where am I from?" theme for a session instead of "What is my name?". I think the guessing game is great, but I also think there are ways that it can be played which do not involve you being dishonest with campers about your real name. I will be honest in that I don't understand the closeness point you raise, either. I don't feel any closer to campers or students based on whether they call me by my first or last name. I can see where that idea would be there, but I think it's a false conception.

All that being said, why are camp names harmful? For those of you like Tom who haven't been reading all the posts, I can lay out the arguments in a neat precise fashion as Calico was so kind to do for the pro side.

1. Honesty. Let's face it, by not telling a camper you real name if they ask for it, you are basically lying to them. I think lying to kids is something that should be avoided in general, even though it goes without saying we can't tell them the whole truth all the time. Still, when it's something so basic like your name you refuse to tell them, I can't see that being dishonest about it is a good thing.

2. Individuality. What is one thing kids at camp learn almost above all others? That it is OK to be themselves! Unless, of course, you are a staff member at camp in which case you should make a false name and live THAT persona at camp. True, it's been said that many people are the same wehther they are called Bob or Thunder, but do you really think kids can make that fine distinction? Especially younger ones! All they see is that their counselor is using a false name, so that leads to the question- is it really ok to be themselves when their counselor doesn't seem to be?

3. Expectations. Taking off that point above, some people are NOT the same person at camp as they are in the outside world. I think that everybody really should be. Now obviously you can't go doing the things in your workplace that you do at camp, but you should at least be able to fully be yourself in any social situation. My behavior at camp and my behavior with my friends is very similar; and the reason for that is because both accept me for who I am. Camp names kinda encourage people to act more uninhibited and differently at camp. That's a good thing at camp, but maybe not really getting the point across. Especially as many camp counselor are still college-aged or younger, and from my perspective at least that is when a person really finds out who they are in life. Staff at camp grow too, and I think camp names inhibit that.

Those are the three main points. There are other sub-points too, but they all basically spring from those three issues as far as I am concerned. I'm not having this discussion just to be stubborn, I am having it to encourage a healthy debate on a subject that many people obviously feel strongly about. When it's all said and done I highly doubt we'll change anybody's minds, but that doesn't mean that this debate isn't worth having so both sides can at least understand each other better.

#48638 12/21/04 02:28 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Let's take a look at the debate that you have so well "proven the harm of camp names" - A few of the non-camp-namers argue that camp names don't allow campers & counselors to get close. Those who use camp names keep saying, "yes! our campers are close to us!! They trust and talk with us! We loved it as kids and love it as counselors!" But you keep saying, "no, this can't be!"

Non-camp-namers say it hides identity. But others say camp names allows part of the identity to come to the forefront.

Noncamp namers say that camp is to prepare young people for the cruel hard world. Camp namers say that camp is a chance to be relieved from real life stressors.

Linny says, "Camp names allow people to hide behind cute personas, rather than letter their entire character shine, flaws and all." Does this mean you share your lush tendancies character flaws with campers? Or do you hide part of your identity? Stick to creative writing and keg parties.

#48639 12/21/04 03:48 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
In the end it is a trust issue if you keep your real name secret. Yes, the campers trust you at camp and how you are their "adult" in charge but in the end not telling them your real name means they don't have your trust and/or respect. I know the person in charge of payroll always called everyone by their given name. So the summer we had 8 Jennifers she would never mention anyone by their "nicknames". If you keep your real name secret due to the possibility of campers stalking you then you don't trust your campers to be polite and respectful outside of camp. Yes, it's a "cool" thing to do and in reality camp names, in my opinion, are not a bad thing.

Respect and trust and honesty goes a long way and it is a two way street. To not tell the parents your name, to me, is showing a lack of trust and respect. I mean they've shown you one of the greatest trusts available by allowing their kid(s) to attend your camp and be in your care. In my opinion if a parent asks for your name then I would respectfully tell them my name.

Also no one is going to really agree here on this issue and most are on one end or another. Doesn't seem like many of us are in the middle here.

#48640 12/21/04 03:57 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
You've all been saying that we should worry about the few and far between campers that are traumatized by our use of camp names, but we should ignore the issue of the few and far between campers that give their counselors unwanted attention outside of camp.

there's also another issue of protecting against the future. If a counselor comes to camp after her senior year in high school, is a phenominal counselor, but then fails out of college the next year, looses sight of her dreams and gets addicted to crack, would it be better for the campers she inspired to have all their dreams crushed when they learn that their counselor Jane Doe froze to death last night in front of the court house as a crack whore? or would it be better for them to have shining dreams of their role model counselor Foo-foo until reality and cynical old age tarnishes it?

Camp seems to be an intentionally constructed society built around keeping campers safe and happy. There are lots of things that campers aren't told to "keep them safe."

#48641 12/21/04 04:16 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Life happens, counselors are not immortal or necessarily pure. Camp is no longer the bubble it used to be. Ahh, the tradition of camp as a bubble now that's another topic....

#48642 12/21/04 05:11 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
 Quote:
Originally posted by Qui:
You've all been saying that we should worry about the few and far between campers that are traumatized by our use of camp names, but we should ignore the issue of the few and far between campers that give their counselors unwanted attention outside of camp.
Traumitized is really a word I don't think any of us has used. I doubt that camp names are going to cause any serious life-wrecking harm to campers. The argument simply is that they may bring up some subtle issues that staff and campers may simply not be aware of.

Quote:

there's also another issue of protecting against the future. If a counselor comes to camp after her senior year in high school, is a phenominal counselor, but then fails out of college the next year, looses sight of her dreams and gets addicted to crack, would it be better for the campers she inspired to have all their dreams crushed when they learn that their counselor Jane Doe froze to death last night in front of the court house as a crack whore? or would it be better for them to have shining dreams of their role model counselor Foo-foo until reality and cynical old age tarnishes it?

On the flip side, what if that same counselor graduates with honors from college and goes on to become a famous philanthropist? Is it better for campers to see that good counselors become great people and have that excellent example to look up to, or would it be better for them to never know that their role model counselor made it in the "real" world? You just can't base arguments like this on what MIGHT happen in the future; nobody knows.

And TedRocks, if you pretend you are perfect to your campers, you are the one that needs to stick to keg parties and creative writing. Yes, I do let my campers know I am not perfect. I may not share the initimate details with them, but if you live with somebody for any period of time they'll figure out you are as human as anybody. Which is as it should be, no?

#48643 12/21/04 06:07 PM
2,000 to 2,500 posts
2,000 to 2,500 posts
 Quote:
Originally posted by Boomis:

First, I think the entire privacy argument just doesn't hold water. I think Teenster's example of a camper finding her real name and then getting her cell number is an extreme one; I'm not even sure how they would go about that. Heck, I can't find MY cell number online and I know a lot more about me than just my name. \:\)
I think they got it through my school's web site. There is a thing where you can search for students. If a student is still living in the dorm (that's me) then all of their info is posted. I don't use my dorm phone, so when the school needs one, or anyone else for that matter, I give them my cell. Yes, this was extreme... I've set up a different e-mail account, and give that address to campers.

- Teenster

ISU PRIDE!

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  tom 

Link Copied to Clipboard