A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
\:\)

Dear Fellow Camp Friends:
I have been tasked to implement summer camps and track out camps (year round schools here in NC)for the country club I work for.

I have no experience and would love any suggestions, resources, websites etc.

I have noticed many camps in the area have themes for weeks. For example:

Interactive Elements
Magical Mayhem
Nature Nuts
Hollywood Bound
Ancient Adventure
Sports Mania
Super Soakin Safari
Around the World
Etc...

Great catchy titles but where do you get ideas of things to do with campers for 6 hours -- is their a website or book that helps with activities to do associated with these themes???

I greatly appreciate all your reponses and ideas!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
www.ultimatecampresource.com has lots of ideas for games. I have found ideas from looking in catalogues for party stores or suppliers like S&S, I google things like "camp special events" or "pirate day" etc. just to see what pops up. Sometimes you can get ideas from knowing a little about your audience- you know that your kids like Harry Potter so it would probably not be too difficult to keep them entertained by having HP themed week.
I know planning the actual events for the week is tough when you don't know where to start, so I guess the questions I would consider are: What/how can I decorate? What games can we play/ can I rename games I already know to fit in with the theme? Do we know any songs? Can the menu reflect the theme? How much money can I spend? What can I use that we already have?
I try hard to involve lots of other people in the planning because special events and theme weeks take so much energy. If you like, check out this link: http://www.campmohawk.org/newsite/publish/overnight_events.shtml they're not weekly themes but some ideas for special events. Hope it helps!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Nadine -
Many Thanks! I really appreciate it!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I think Nadine is on the money. I would add that you should have a craft that is part of the theme as well. Use your creativity when programming. Let's take a look at a couple of the themes you have.

Magical Mayhem - This could include the kids learning magic tricks. Many tricks are very simple. Visit a magic store and they will be happy to help out. Have a the kids throw cards into a hat placed 5 feet away as a competition. Show one of the Harry Potter movies. Make paper wands. Etc.

Nature Nuts - Have some animals brought in petting zoo style or have an animal trainer visit. You'll be amazed at how many people will volunteer their time for kids. Have them grow plants in paper cups that they decorate. Again, the library will have a lot of good books for kids activities, especially nature related. There are lots of great Disney movies with animals. Use the week to teach about the environment.

Hollywood Bound - Karaoke, drama games, skits, Hollywood decorations, etc.

Other suggestions for themes: Nickelodeon, Under the Sea, Wild West, Holidays, Superheroes, Olympics, Dinosaurs...

Well, you get the idea. Break each day into two parts separated by lunch. Have a morning activity and afternoon activity. Keep in mind that not every activity needs to be part of the theme. You may also want to talk with someone from your local parks and rec department that puts on day camps. Even though you are "competition" I have found that recreation people are happy to share ideas. Get a daily schedule from them, or create your own. A daily schedule is really where you want to start.

There are a lot of factors in what you do and how you do it including the ages of your campers, the number of campers, your budget and the amount of staff you have.

One last thing, Nadine offered some good websites. I would like to add www.recreationpros.com It's a new site with some neat program ideas. The guys who run it are very nice. Email them and they will certainly help you out with any programming challenges you might have.

And did I mention that you should visit your local library? Good Luck!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I just went to the Recreationpros website, I loved it. Definately a good resource & good ideas!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I have a few camp themes and activities geared towards elementary age youth on my website. I hope it helps! http://corduroysbutton.wordpress.com/

Moderated by  tom 

Link Copied to Clipboard