Rate Thread
#76959 01/09/01 12:51 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I am looking for suggestions to continue my profesional development in the camping industry. I hope to become a camp director in the future. For the past 5 years I have worked for a small summer resident camp. Last year I was the youth director at my church. I have a degree in education and I currently teach. I am seeking a new career more focused in a recreational setting. What other jobs similar to this may be available? What should I start doing now to prepare for them?

#76960 01/09/01 08:14 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I think that your first step should be joining the ACA. Your local Section Office will then give you all information necessary to further your professional development. Getting involved is one of the most important moves that a person can make in order to learn more about the camp movement.

#76961 01/16/01 05:07 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I would also suggest, if you are definitely looking at camping, taking the ACA Basic Camp Directors Course...it will provide you with a solid foundation of all aspects of camping and expose you to a lot of things that you may not think of otherwise...you will also make some great networking contacts that will hopefully help you in the future. In the meantime, if your situation allows, work at different types of camps unitl you find a good fit....there are all sorts of camps out there, so find one that fits your gifts, talents, values,and interests. Good Luck!!

#76962 03/04/05 05:14 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I am also looking at changing from a youth pastor to a camp director career. I didn't finish college and have little camp experience. I have applied for one internship, but would like to have a backup plan. What college degree should I seek for the purpose of camp management and are there any other internship opportunities out there that I might not know about.

Brig

#76963 03/06/05 08:23 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
 Quote:
Originally posted by Brigman:
I am also looking at changing from a youth pastor to a camp director career. I didn't finish college and have little camp experience. I have applied for one internship, but would like to have a backup plan. What college degree should I seek for the purpose of camp management and are there any other internship opportunities out there that I might not know about.

Brig
Any type of recreation/leisure degree would help for camp management. some schools let you choose a concentration, or stream in recreation - ie outdoor recreation, administration, management therapuetic, etc.
With that being said, camp management also need to have a lot of camp experience, or camp related experience... so get out there and volunteer or work in the industry.
Good luck!

#76964 09/22/05 04:16 PM
M
More than 3,000 posts
More than 3,000 posts
M
Besides getting a Bachlors degree in Recreation I would suggest getting more experince in the camp field. Also try to get experinece in different types of camps. Also what has been suggested to me in my classes in recreation is to attend as many workshops/confrances/seminars as you can that would help you professionally. Also if you are a member of the ACA already go ahead and join because it show that you are intrested in this field and you can become involved and make connections. Another professional organization is the National Recreation and Park Association (NRPA). Experince either paid or volunteer will help you alot. Also getting certifications like WSI, lifeguard, high/ low ropes courses will help get your foot in the door at many camps.

PM me if you want to sign up for the camp buddies for this summmer.
marty #77950 07/13/07 03:57 PM
L
150 to 200 posts
150 to 200 posts
L
I'm also thinking of becoming a camp director at this time I have 5 years experiences in summer camps as staff in a wide range of positions. I spent 6 years directing volunteers and scheduling. I have spent the last 3 years as a REALTOR and though I have won many awards I?m just not finding it full filling as I did in my last jobs. Most camps I have applied to have not set up an interview with me.

I have been looking at finishing college with a degree in Hospitality and Tourism Management. Focusing on running special events and conferences. I have been talking to a summer camp that may have a positions as part of a internship as a boys camp director for 4 years.

Would this help me get a full time job with a camp? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

LukeBK #81120 11/28/07 07:18 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Some of you are asking about degree programs. I spent quite some time asking that question. I don't think Yoda knows the answer to this question. I completed my undergraduate studies earning a Human Communications degree (conflict resolution, mediation, holding meetings, understanding non-verbals, etc.) and am now in graduate school in the Community Planning Department with a focus on Non-profit Management. As a director I feel engaging the larger community is important for a number of reasons. Those who have paid you to be the director likely want you to recruit, train, and develop a sense of belonging within the camp community. Social Sustainability is important. I am always looking to talk further about these issues, please give a call, I look forward to hearing from you.

Ethan Erickson
503-481-7871
ethan@tsuga.org
http://www.tsuga.org

Moderated by  tom 

Link Copied to Clipboard