Print Thread
Rate Thread
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I am wondering if anyone out there has come up with a good way of dealing with special needs children who want to go to a non-special needs camp. In the few situations we've had in the past, we have simply hired a 1-on-1 aid for the camper (at the parent's expense). The number of cases is growing readily. We have a rough "interview" process the camper must go through before being admitted at all and deciding on admittance with/with out an aid, however, we would like to formalize this somewhat. Our thoughts right now are perhaps on having a standard report filled out by the parents, doctor & teacher. I was wondering if anyone else goes through this sort of process and/or if anyone has a sample of such a "evaluation" form. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I volunteer at a camp that has campers both with special needs and fully abled children. Pilgrim Pines has 5 one week sessions where children ranging from 1st grade through graduating seniors and children and adults with special needs all attend camp together. they each have their own age group, the special needs children and adults have seperate programs but interact with the other age groups during all camp events.

We have circulating staff counselors and volunteers who may or may not be counselors for the special needs camp but are trained to assist with daily living skills and social behavioral issues.
Everyone gets trained during the training programs so that everyone knows how to handle and care for the special needs campers.

I suggest that you could do the same. Having special needs campers intermixed with other campers is a really good growing and learning experience for both. Also, let the campers know that Jane or Jimmy might need a friend to help him or her out this summer. You will find that he children are genuinely caring and want to befriend the special needs camper.

We have some wonderful and knowledgable staff members at Pilgrim Pines and I am sure they would take the time to offer their advice and suggestions. We have a rigourous camper packet as well.
To contact the camp you can go to PilgrimPinesCamp.org
If you would like to see the registration packet choose the Registration bar on the left of the main screen and there are different ones for seedling, pinecones, and pinesters. Those are the names we lovingly give to our children, youth and adults with special needs. That might help too.

Hope this has been helpful.

Jules

Moderated by  tom 

Link Copied to Clipboard