Rate Thread
#77248 05/25/06 02:56 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I AM LOOKING FOR ANY IDEAS YOU MIGHT HAVE ON DISCIPLINING CHILDREN WITH SPECIAL NEEDS.
THANKS.

#77249 04/09/07 04:03 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
My camp has some children that have educational disabilities. Many are not diganosed but they have trouble with math and reading. We also have some less fourtunate, inner-city campers with some that have abusive and rough pasts. We use a point system. Campers are given different opportunities throughout the day to earn points. These points can also be taken away if they are not behaving during that time. We also award bonus points if a person does something that myself of the staff feel is unordinary. These bonus points happen more towards the middle of the week and on. It is to hard to tell what is ordinary behavior during the first day. If you would like I would be more than happy to share my chart with you.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Great Question! Some ideas from my experiences:

- Redirection!! Kids of all abilities often get in trouble when they have nothing better to do- give them something better to do. When a group of kids is being too antsy, rather than having them get in trouble for "breaking the rules," distract them by having a statue contest, or magically turning them all into baby worms.

- I have found that when working with kids who have special needs (and all other kids for that matter), it is best to be very simple, clear and direct in any instructions. Be sure to communicate expectations, how the child did not meet the expectations, and what the child should do next time in a way that he or she can understand.

- Consistency is also key. Make sure all staff and campers are on the same page. Clear rules and clear consequences that all kids know are incredibly important.

- Behavior modification systems: give campers stars, stickers, points for positive behavior. Take them away for negative behavior. Most kids function well with clear systems of rewards and consequences. I work at a Boys and Girls club and we have "club cash" that kids can earn for positive behavior. They then spend the club cash on small prizes. It works wonders!

- I worked at a preschool camp with they Y and a good portion of our campers had special needs. We would do "repeat after me" rules like "keep your body to yourself," "listen to your teacher" and "ask first." Each rule had hand motions.

- The camp I work at now(A Boys and Girls Club Camp), has 3 rules and a 3 step process for when those rules are broken. Rules: 1) Stay Respectful 2) Stay Together 3) Stay Safe. If those rules are broken, the first time kids are "tapped" (reminded). The second time they are "taken" (given a time out or sent to stay by a counselor) and the third time is "talk" (we talk with their parents). Kids recite and explain the "3 Ts" and "3 Rs" multiple times throughout the week.

- A camp I used to work at (for at-risk kids from the inner city, many with disabilities, mental illness or special circumstances), had a "calming tent." Kids could be easily removed from the situation in a way that wasn't automatically discipline. They left, went to the calming tent, and processed the situation with another staff.

- Teach kids to cope! I have ADD myself, and I love sitting campers down and showing them some of my "tricks" for controlling it. "When you are getting distracted, stop what you are doing and trace your teeth with your tongue. Count each tooth and then try to count backwards. When you are finished, try the activity again."

- Find something that has a calming effect on the camper. One boy I worked with who had Downs pretty severely loved to play with a ball of yarn that we had. When he became upset, providing time for him to play with the yarn would help him calm himself. I have worked with disabled adults and we used the same concept. All people have certain places, objects or activities that help us "get away." If a camper with special needs is having behavior problems, it might be their way of saying that they are feeling insecure. Provide time/space for that need to first be met, and then address the situation or inappropriate behavior.

Hope this helps!

Miss Brenda (corduroysbutton.wordpress.com)

Moderated by  tom 

Link Copied to Clipboard