Rate Thread
#77258 01/15/03 03:50 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
i would like to hear from camps that will be changing van use due to current rollover fears/liability.
Will the "best practice" be to limit numbers in the van. My camp is mostly for kids under age nine...it doesn't feel like the "topheavy" concerns apply to us, but logic does not always prevail

#77259 01/16/03 02:53 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
We use a 15 passenger van during the school year with our high school kids. What we have found thus far (knock on wood)is that as long as you drive at posted speeds and not like a crazy person, avoiding sharp curves, etc., no problem. But you can feel as you drive how easy it would be to flip one of those puppys over if you ty to drive it like a car.

[This message has been edited by CD7 (edited January 16, 2003).]

#77260 01/17/03 01:07 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I agree with CD7. We use vans all the time for all ages. If you drive the speed limits and go slow around curves you will be okay. We are in the woods of Maine so there are lots of curves and hills.

Each driver we have goes through a orientation for driving camp vehicles and are tested. If we have any reservation about their driving skills then we do not let them drive the big vans. Also if one of our drivers is uncomfortable driving the 15 passenger van we will not have them do so.

#77261 01/28/03 09:56 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
We have used the 15 pass vans for years, with no major problems. However, this year our rental van vendor is offering us a new option. A 15 passenger school bus that does not require a CDL. They say it is as easy to drive and park as the 15 pass vans, with the added safety of a School Bus. We are scheduling a visit to test drive one next week. I will post my results.

#77262 02/04/03 12:39 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
What state are you in? We're in Illinois and the CDL is not needed for the 15 passenger van if you're not using it to regularly transport students back & forth to school.

#77263 02/09/03 09:41 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
We completed our test drive this week and the bus was perfect, it is the future of Camp transportation. It is going to allow us to promote transportation Safety, not have to explain to parents, why we continue to use the 15 Passenger vans.
The vehicle is a Scool bus body on a dual wheel Chevy 1 ton chassis. They are White with Red accents, A/C, Stereo cassete, with Seating for 15 including the driver. Another great feature was the cargo area in the back, perfect for day trip supplies. My wife had no problem turning onto side streets or parking at Mcdonalds. The company says the rates will be $200-300 more per month than the 15 pass vans.
We are from New England and our vendor is in NH. My contact is Diana @ 800-288-6999. She is the one who arrainged our test drive and provided us with the quote.

Good Luck and Happy Camping

#77264 03/25/03 07:00 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
JC66- What is your rate/month total for your former vans and your new 15 p. busses? I am looking into vans right now and need to know what I should be paying. I'm in Michigan. Thanks in advance!

Quote:
Originally posted by JC66:
We completed our test drive this week and the bus was perfect, it is the future of Camp transportation. It is going to allow us to promote transportation Safety, not have to explain to parents, why we continue to use the 15 Passenger vans.
The vehicle is a Scool bus body on a dual wheel Chevy 1 ton chassis. They are White with Red accents, A/C, Stereo cassete, with Seating for 15 including the driver. Another great feature was the cargo area in the back, perfect for day trip supplies. My wife had no problem turning onto side streets or parking at Mcdonalds. The company says the rates will be $200-300 more per month than the 15 pass vans.
We are from New England and our vendor is in NH. My contact is Diana @ 800-288-6999. She is the one who arrainged our test drive and provided us with the quote.

Good Luck and Happy Camping

Moderated by  tom 

Link Copied to Clipboard