Rate Thread
#77889 05/26/04 11:29 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I am just starting to research starting a dog camp in New York. What is the best way to start my research? My partner and I are just beginning to toy around with the idea and are camp illiterate. We have so many questions, any help would be greatly appreciated.

#77890 05/27/04 10:19 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
hi, i think at one point everyone decides to start a business of some sort only to realize that they have no idea where to begin, here is a link to an ACA section that deals entirely with starting a camp

http://www.acacamps.org/startcamp.htm

you can also get a ton of information from different websites dealing with small business which you will be at first. within these websites you can find the information that you need to begin to develop a business plan. good luck

try this site, it will help:

http://www.sba.gov/starting_business/planning/basic.html

#77891 05/27/04 10:44 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Thank you so much for your help. Between the two sites, I'm sure I'll find most of what I need to begin my research. Well... I better get reading! In the meantime, the camp I would love to start is a dog camp where people can come for a vacation to learn to train their dog etc. and people can come for just a day for an outing with their dog. My thought is a year round camp and I am located in New Yorks Hudson Valley. If I could get any feedback with responders age, sex and location, once again I would greatly appreciate it. I want to make sure I know my demographics.

#77892 05/27/04 10:47 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
hi, is where you are located near manhatten? just a thought. i do not know what type and kinds of clientele that you will attract to your camp, i think it all depends on the types of programming offered and maybe you can do some overnight stuff with the dogs and owners. myself, i am 22 and from ohio. well let me know if i can help you in any other way.

#77893 05/27/04 10:59 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I work in Manhattan and live an hour and a half away. Anywhere in between would be great. I think that people living in the city would love a great place to go, so I want to make sure it's accessible. Not too far to travel.

#77894 05/27/04 11:16 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
just a thought, my gf and i will be in manhatten from friday-monday of this week. maybe we can bounce some ideas off one another to get you started in the right direction let me know.

#77895 05/27/04 11:35 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I would love that. Unfortunately, I'm dying at my current job. We are understaffed right now and I have no time to myself. I am doing this right now under the radar. We'll actually, I run the department and I don't want people to feel like their working harder than me.

When do you come in? Maybe I can get my partner together and see what I can come up with.

Thank you

#77896 05/27/04 04:07 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
i come in probably sat. morning, it is a weekend getaway to go and watch some plays and shop things like that. i will be in a hotel downtown until monday morning when i check out.

#77897 05/27/04 10:14 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
As I thought further about it I realized it would be premature of me to ask any questions. I need to do some researching before I even would know where to begin.

In the meantime, have a great weekend! If you are looking for any specific type of places (non touristy) to go, let me know. I have my favorites. If you don't, the best advice I can offer is to stay away from eating in tourist areas. NY has amazing food and not all too pricey. You just have to know where to go.

Ooh a thought. The best pizza in New York (and worth the trek) is Grimaldi's Pizzeria --
19 Old Fulton St Brooklyn NY. It's in Brooklyn right under the Brooklyn Bridge and you'll see a great view of the South Street Seaport right across the river. There's always a line to get in so be ready to wait. When I lived in Brooklyn, it was always the place I took visitors to. I've even gone to pick it up after work and bring upstate for people. Study your subway map and get there! (can you tell I love this pizza?!) Check it out at www.newyork.citysearch.com. You'll also find a ton of other great info there.

Have fun

Moderated by  tom 

Link Copied to Clipboard