Rate Thread
#77918 11/10/05 10:19 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
We're an independent 501(c)(3) camp, and we're looking to get a credit card. We have a visa from Key Bank, which we've had for so long that no one remembers the process we went through. The visa has two major flaws for us. The first is that it doesn't get us insurance when we rent a car when we're on the road, and the second is that we're not getting any sort of reward.

So I started to do some research. I really liked the American Express Platinum Business Cash Rebate Card. It met our needs in terms of the car rental insurance, the reward is straight cash back once a year, 2.5% of purchase, which is very clean in terms of our bookkeeping (as opposed to a hotel or travel reward). So I called Amex to ask a few more questions.

What I discovered is that for this (and indeed all) AMEX Small Business Cards, the card is directly tied to an individual's credit. While this makes sense to me in the case of a for-profit small business (the owner's financial status would be important for the credit card company to know), in the case of a non-profit, it makes me a bit uncomfortable. Whose credit ought to be tied to the card? The Executive Director? The Financial Director? A Board Member/President? The whole thing seems very disconnected.

So my question is, does anyone know of a credit card designed specifically for non-profits. I've searched pretty thoroughly and haven't been able to find one. Alternatively, how have you dealt with this conundrum for your non-profit camp?

Thanks,
Paul

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Through my own personal experiences, I would advise trying Wells Fargo. They seem knowledgable about the operations of nonproift organizations. I would advise against getting a credit card for the organization that would be based upon personal information. There are too many times that an executive director or board members leaves too quickly and does have the appropriate time to clarify all things. Using such methods could spell a disaster for the organization.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
On one non-profit, I am the Vice Pres./Secretary on the Board of Directors, and used my personal info. On a new non-profit where I am starting a new camp, I am Executive Director and used my personal info for the card again.

If you have more concerns, send me an e-mail to Crash at CaliforniaAdventureMountainPrograms@msn.com
and I'll talk to you more about it.

Moderated by  tom 

Link Copied to Clipboard