Rate Thread
Page 3 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 9 10
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I have to agree that I don't miss camp drama. There was a bit of it this past summer and I def. don't miss it!!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
It's funny how in the dead of winter I can even miss camps dirtiest jobs! As I picture the jobs that seem to stink at camp while you're there...they sound pretty dang good right now!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
but there is something theraputic about scrubbing all the soot off a large cooking pot becuase those who used it didn't soap the outside - it is really cool to see it go from black to silver.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Elbow grease!!!!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
yeap - and a good wire wool!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
My least favorite pre-camp job is raking. It's one of those jobs that when you're done you really don't feel like you've done anything. And, the work isn't really recognizable. When grass is mowed it looks nice and shorter. When a hill has been raked it just looks like no pine needles fell there! \:\)

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
We never raked at any of the camps I was - that is except the sand at the waterfront and that had to be done every day! I hated cleaning the kitchen trunks at the start of the summer cos you would always have to deal with spiders.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
It's amazing how wildlife takes over camp when we're not there. It's their home for 9 months out of the year! We move in...they move out...we move out...they move in!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
yeap - except they dont always move out! One summer I discovered that their had been a mouse in mattress - only discovered this after I moved out that cabin. And then we had squirrel that didnt seem to get that he couldn't live in the staff cabin while we were there.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
That's true...often times we're roommates!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
 Originally Posted By: big KID
My least favorite pre-camp job is raking. It's one of those jobs that when you're done you really don't feel like you've done anything. And, the work isn't really recognizable. When grass is mowed it looks nice and shorter. When a hill has been raked it just looks like no pine needles fell there! \:\)

doesnt your camp have some kind of maintenance people or ground people who did that kind of stuff?

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Yes...they've started to do that. I think they have some service or family come in and do it for like 2 weeks straight. And, I'm getting to camp later now so I don't do much raking anymore. Memories.... I say let the pine needles be!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I agree! There are far more important jobs to be done to get camp set up than raking pine needles - in my opinion anyway.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I also think let nature be nature! I don't think they're unattractive! I would rather see a camp where nature was evident in it's natural state rather than manicured!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Yeap - if people didn't expect to see things like pine needles at camp they would go to one in the paries or something were there are no pine trees!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Pine needles are great for finding fuel for starting fires....I love the pine needles.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
i am very pro-pine needle.
they are the saving grace with young kids' cookouts.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I am sure they are! My first camp they used them to weave basket - they were only tiny but they looked cool.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Thats a cool idea. I will try that next day I get a chance.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Once I made a bird feeder with pine cones, peanut butter, and bird seed.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I have heard of that before!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
we have this book at my camp that is a nature craft book. It contains all craft ideas, where the supplies are from nature. They are great. No cost great crafts. I would tell you the name but I forgot it. It was a great book!!!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Yeah, it was cool! :]

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Another thing I'm missing about camp is the smells.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Me too!!! Where I work now, everytime I walk in smells the exactly the same way as my bunk did. It is a lovely smell. Everytime I walk in, I try to smell it longer and longer to take it in. My co-workers think I am a goof.

Page 3 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 9 10

Moderated by  tom 

Link Copied to Clipboard