Page 3 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 12 13
#84656 02/06/08 09:05 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
That is so true! I think that it is so important to go above and beyond the call of duty!

#84681 02/07/08 12:59 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
isn't that our job, as camp counselors/staff?

#84696 02/07/08 01:19 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Yep, we don't have a 9 to 5 job. We have like a 22 per 6 day job and each minute is reponsible for the life and future of a child. You can't just coast through this job, lol.

#84700 02/07/08 06:13 AM
More than 3,000 posts
More than 3,000 posts
I have some pretty bad stories that I will not reveal. This one however, just gets to me every time, so I am going to post it! My co counselor in the young boys unit and I had our time off. Luckily, I woke up from an impromptu nap about 5 minutes before I was supposed to get my kids back. I didn;t know where I was supposed to meet them, so I went to the most logical place and found them at about 12, which was good, but the person who had my boys was late for a meeting and the other counselor wasn't back yet. I told her to go to her meeting and I would wait for the other counselor since I had to wait for my cook-out box to be ready, plus I had to Counselors-in-Training to help me with the 14 boys. Finally at like 12:20, the other counselor was 20 minutes late and my box was ready, so we walked up to the cabins, all 17 of us because I had to be with the campers. At like 12:30 I walk into her cabin and find her sitting on her bed reading as if she was still on her TO. She said that the UC always met her back in the cabin, but that isn't true because I picked up my campers at the same time and place as her. So, Ican understand a miscommunication, but after a maximum of 10 minutes, you should be out trying to find them! She, however, was content to completely ignore the fact that she had campers, and that set my whole day's schedule off by 30 minutes. She also played favorites and had no respect for me trying to get my group together so that we could do what we had planned for the day. Wow, that was kind of a long rant! oops!

**I love my Never-land!**

"I'm always pretty happy when I'm at camp with you!"
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I remember being surveyed while at uni about the job I did over the summer and I said that I worked 24/7 and they couldn't believe it until I explained that if you are on camp you are technically on duty even if you are on TO!

#84781 02/07/08 07:45 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I do not think anyone really understands what happens at camp till you go there!

#84784 02/07/08 07:54 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
That is true and every year camp is different even if you go back to the same camp year after year!

#84785 02/07/08 07:58 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I can't wait to go back to just to see everyone, the camp, and see how everything has changed!

#84787 02/07/08 08:05 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
No - nor can I! The earlier I can get there the better! Luckily I have lots of pics to last me between now and then!

#84792 02/07/08 08:11 PM
More than 3,000 posts
More than 3,000 posts
Same here! I also sing songs and look at the camp song book if I want to sing all the songs I know! I love looking at my pictures! I have a picture of my amazing 2nd and 3rd grade girl group on my magnetic desk light! I was a CIT disguised as a co-counselor and these girls obeyed some of the rules before we even told them too! They ran ahead of us and then stopped at the top of the stairs, which is a pretty good stopping point, but they did it before we could say so! On the first day too!! Amazingness! This was my first whole week with one group and I was ecstatic to be working with the little girls, cuz they are sooo cute and amazing!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I am looking forward to the precamp week. I am not looking forward to meeting the new staff though. I am not the best at making new friends, very shy!

#84801 02/07/08 08:19 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
so am but I find camp kinda forces you to get over that!

#84804 02/07/08 08:23 PM
More than 3,000 posts
More than 3,000 posts
This will be my first precamp and I am soooooo excited to get to know all the staff as they are all getting to know each other! It is nice to start at the beginning and not have to work your way into a group that has already formed!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Oh... is this going to be your first year on staff? That is so exciting. I think the first year is amazing. You learn so much. And there are tons of people in your situation! Simple amazing. Are they all new staff? Yes, that is always hard to fully assimaliate with the old.

#84816 02/07/08 08:37 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I can remember how hard it was for me the first year I went to camp - i really struggle to mix with people but over the years it has def gotten easier.

#84821 02/07/08 08:47 PM
More than 3,000 posts
More than 3,000 posts
Well, it is my first year being on staff from the beginning. Our CIT program is 4 weeks for 2 summers so the first years go the last 4 sessions and the 2nd years go the first 4, so after we graduate we can be on staff for some or all of the rest of the summer. So I did 5 weeks on staff (we had 2 weeks after our normal sessions for grief camp and a camp for kids with craniofacial differences). I have been at camp in a leadership training program of some sorts for 6 summers now, so I kid of know how it works as far as it getting easier, and more fun as more priveleges are given out!!! woohoo to being on staff! Now i just need to be 21 so i can drive the golf-cart! haha

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
and the camp vans!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Cool! That is great. It is always nice to go up in the "ladder." I hope that you have an amazing summer.

#84825 02/07/08 08:52 PM
More than 3,000 posts
More than 3,000 posts
we sadly don't have vans, but we do have a mini school bus that was painted really cool for camp, but I have no desire to get a special license for that big rig!! It is primarily used to pick up day campers. It has its own name sign inside too! Cecil the Diesel! Go Cecil!!! I love that bus!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
That is very cool! We have 3 white vans.

#84843 02/07/08 09:15 PM
More than 3,000 posts
More than 3,000 posts
Vans are cool too! Us CIT2s last year were driven to a few other camps sort of near ours to check out the differences and similarites and broaden our horizons and such, and our CIT director got one of those white vans. It was such an amzing experience!! So fun to be out of camp with all my CIT buds!! We ate at a Mexican resaraunt and had a whole bunch of inside jokes, and stopped for coffee/hot chocolate since we had been at camp and now we were 10 ladies out on the town!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I can imagine - sounds like when any group of camp staff go out together in a camp van!

#84849 02/07/08 09:25 PM
More than 3,000 posts
More than 3,000 posts
I am sure it is, so I can't wait for any staff trips, planned by camp or by us, either way, it is bound to be a blast!!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
We had some fun trips last year. During pre-camp we all went out for a meal and then camp back and filled the CDs yurt with 400+ balloons.

#84858 02/07/08 09:39 PM
More than 3,000 posts
More than 3,000 posts
hahaha, sounds amazing!!!!!!!! Our CD lives on camp year round so she actually has a house, so that wouldn't really work with us. However, last summer during Ninja week 2 staff members put a note on her door asking for cookies (I am sadly kind of fuzzy on some of the details, but it was hilarious!) and demanded that the cookies be put in the staff house by a certain time and when they went to chck for them there was a note instead that told them that they might make a deal if they showed their faces. They retaliated with a long note about something or other and ended up putting it on her doorstep with the head of our camp bunny costume! haha At the end of the week their group of campers was making wishes for their contribution to the camp fire and one of them said "I wish for 2 moon balls, 2 inches in diameter," and the other said "I wish for 4 chocolate chip cookies," which was what they were demanding in the first place. the CD just laughed! I laughed too, though most of the people didn;t get the hidden meaning!

Page 3 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 12 13

Moderated by  tom 

Link Copied to Clipboard