Rate Thread
#77273 02/01/07 01:39 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I was a Program Director this past summer and am going to be returning to the same camp. Our camp does not have any type of camp vechile. I was wondering what your thoughts on a golf cart and or a gator was and if there are any policies that you enforce with this equipment.

Thanks!

#77274 03/07/07 10:31 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
We have a gator at our camp. We use it for maintenance and taking things around the camp. We do not allow any campers to ride in or on the gator. It is only used by staff. We are looking at getting some type of golf cart people mover that we can use when we have new people on grounds to show them the camp. It would also be used for our older people to help them get around.

#77275 04/11/07 07:22 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I have a ez-go golf cart that will hold up fine and will smoke any gator around. Golf carts rule!!!!! www.eastcoastcarts.com

#77276 06/07/07 07:59 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
my 2001 Club Car 48 volt 650 amp controller 25 mph

My 2003 ez-go TXT freedom gasser 295cc Robins

http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb201/tungpo1/HPIM1542.jpg" alt="" />
A few more

#85594 02/10/08 07:46 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
A lot depends on your site, your needs and your budget.
Golf carts are fairly accessible, relatively inexpensive and very adaptable. You will need to chose gas or electric (I've had good experience with gas but can envision where ele could work well) and whether to have an extra row of seats or a utility box. There are numerous types of tires available and you can certainly raise the vehicle for clearance, add roll bars, etc. or keep it simple. Since the gas pedel disconnects the parking brake these have the high risk considerations.
Gators are certainly more expensive but are great for maintenance (add a winch on front, powered tilt box, etc) and have a greater capacity. Generally slower but more stable in risky situations.
ATVs certainly have their place though extra training should be implimented. I used an ATV for trail upkeep at a site with miles of horse trails, anything else would have required wider trails and have been beat-up significantly.
Of course you could just use a truck or van, depending again on what you're trying to do.

Allowing campers, underage staff and anyone who you don't have documented site-specific training for shouldn't be allowed in anything other than a regular vehicle (car, van, etc.). Even maintenance-only vehicles should have writtenn policies & procedures regarding who is authorized, training & orientation, specific uses & inappropriate use, etc.

Hope this helps;
Phill

Moderated by  tom 

Link Copied to Clipboard