Hi I hope the summer was great for all of you. Although food service is not me primary responsibility I assist our food service director at various times during the camping season. When I saw this topic it perked my interest. One item with family style service is to look at what your state public health laws state what can be done in a camp setting. Do not forget the in some states camp dining halls are looked on as dining establishments and some of the same rules that govern them govern us. Although we can still do family style dining because our dining hall was built before the cutoff date, we are in the midst of transitioning over to buffet style or modified plating. The main reasons we know that our state will eventually make buffet style mandatory. 2 the amount of food wasted in family style is huge. ONce the food goes out to the tables what isnt eaten has to be dumped. We are able to make the food items delicious and hot. the way the lines go is dependent on how the group director organizes the meal period. Our camp food service staff has had a tradition of putting our best faces and smiles foward and we get repayed by thank you cards songs, cheers etc.
Food service is one of the highest costs of camp one thing that the kids and staffs remember. our food service staffs are the unsung heros of camp along with our facilities staff. Keep the discussion going Sincerely Pat