I love color war!

There are a lot of differences from camp to camp in exactly how it works, but it's usually highly spirited with lots of singing and cheering.

At Merriwood, there was a lot of preparation for the break by the counselors and the administrators did a lot of prep for the event, but we didn't have themes and the kids didn't do anything until color war started.

It was simply Green verse Grey in competition. The kids would wear their colors and sit with their team at meals. The teams would enter together doing traditional cheers. I love that two meals they would do their own cheers, but at lunch, each team would enter with a song or cheer that was for the opposite color, and do it with no less enthusiasm. Skits about funny things at camp, three songs about camp, and a banner would be the big deals for the last night. The dining hall is decorated with the winning banners from every year. They all have some saying about camp and usually friendship. They are amazing works of art created over the course of four days with felt.

The day camp I worked at had a theme each summer. It was a lot of fun, but I kind of like just having camp in general as a theme.