RE: "If they are posting personal information on a public domain, is it allowable to use this information when making hiring decisions? I'm curious...."

While FB can show employers a lot of information that would be deemed okay to withhold a job offer, FB also provides information that is protected against discrimination (sexual orientation, age, race, creed, marital status, disability, etc.).

Status Example A: "I dropped my 6 month old off at baby daddy's apartment. Too bad he won't marry me" You have read the status that she is an unwed mother. If you do not hire her because she is an unwed mother, you have just discriminated, which is illegal.

Status Example B: "I'm still so drunk from staying up all night drinking and I have to work in an hour." It would be okay not to offer this person employment.

The bottom line is make sure that if you are viewing their FB, and you decide not to hire them, make sure it is not for discrimatory reasons.

This is a very vauge sampling. Review your state employment laws as well as national.

Good luck!

Last edited by ImaHappyCamper; 04/30/12 10:24 PM.