I teach high school inner city... not kindergarten, but I'll give it a go.

When I started teaching in inner city, I realized that many of my students did not respect me for two reasons. First my age and second, I didn't have a reputation. Kids (in general) expect the teacher to be older and not look like their older sister or cousin. So, when I came in and attempted to set ground rules, they didn't see me in an authority role just because of my looks. There really isn't much that you can do about that. Teaching in the inner city has become a lot easier now because I have been here for 6 years. Now, students know that Ms. McGuire is strict, but you'll learn something in her class. They know that I will send students out, and write them up for skipping, disobeying, etc. Again, not a lot you can do about that.

My advice is to stick to your guns. I think the jelly beans and gummy bears are a good why to encourage your students to make good choices. The time out of recess is also a good policy, but unfortunately doesn't work with this generation of kid. These kids (yes, this is where kindergarteners and high schoolers are the same) are fearless. They don't see a time out as punishment. They don't think that anyone (including anyone of authority) can and should tell them what to do. They understand that if they act up in class, and their friends do the same, they get to sit together at lunch. My only advice here, and I'm not sure if it would work, is to make the recess/lunch time out really a punishment. If the space allows, split the students up so they aren't sitting with anyone. If there is another teacher in your hall, maybe you could trade trouble making kids for the time out punishment. When they are in the time out, maybe have them complete some sort of worksheet or assignment, and they cannot leave time out until the assignment is finished.

Lastly, parent contact might work. When I have a problem student and I call home, about 7 out of 10 times, the student returns to school with a better attitude and sometimes will even apologize to me. The parent contact shows these kids that you mean business. Sometimes it doesn't work, and sometimes it will back fire, but at least you made the attempt. Also, talk to some other younger teachers (not just kindergarten teachers) and see how they do discipline in their classrooms, maybe you can get some ideas.

Good luck, I've been there. ;\)

- Teenster

ISU PRIDE!

Caring - Competent - Confident