Yes, danilys, the kids are getting enough movement. The behaviors are even from the beginning of the day, though they get worse as the day goes on (it's full day kindergarten). I'm using the same schedule as my master teacher so the kids know the routine and it works for them when she teaches. They start at 9 and do an entry task, then circle time including songs, calendar, and explaining their morning work. They then return to their desks to do their morning work. I'm not super strict about how they sit or if they fidget a little because they are kids. By 10:30 we are out at recess with our snack of fruit (the school gets a grant to buy fresh fruit/veggies for each kid and teacher to have one each school day) and they run around for a good 20 minutes. By 11 we are back in class doing reading group for 15 minutes, then literacy centers for 30 minutes, then story time and lunch/recess. From 1:15-1:45 They get a mini-lesson/prompt for writer's workshop and then they write. Then it's time for a little math, packing up, and then their special whether it's music/gym each 2 days a week, or library once a week.

That may have been too much info, but there it is. I thought of the class working together to earn marbles in a jar (I've seen the coloring gumballs thing too) but the school has a system of earning compliments in the halls for quiet nice lines walking to places so when the kids earn 10 compliments they get an ice cream or popcorn party or whatever it may be. They are only slightly phased for a second into behaving. Some couldn't care less.

Yeah, it could have been that particular student but I've also never once heard her mention any parent contact unless it was with office referrals/suspensions. I agree, I don't particularly want to send home a bad report because some parents would react badly. I did have a really good return on my video taping consent forms (after 3 attempts and about 4 days after the 3rd attempt in 3 weeks or so I got ALL 20 of them back!!!!). So that answers another question, I have video taped myself. I'm doing the TPA (Teacher Performance Assessment) which is a new unit planning, assessing, evaluating, reflecting thing for student teachers.

That little routine might work, but I can see some of my kids just completely ignoring it depending on their mood. I am going over the "good choices" that earn tickets with the kids and having them help me with them each time now that I've got the ticket system set up so we review what gets a ticket and what doesn't. I've also managed to set up the expectations again that they had in the beginning of the year which didn't seem to be as strict by the time I came in so I didn't realize I should go back to the September routines. They are now no longer able to get up out of their seats (ok, so still kindergarteners and all, i realize, but they can sit in their seats for some time and I do let them get up when they complete their work, which doesn't take too long provided that they actually work on it... and if I give them a ticket or they are going to the bathroom or getting something I say they can.

Also, a really cool thing I love is that they put their hands up with the "R" ASL sign (pointer and middle fingers crossed) to signify that they need the restroom instead of help or completed work. I can just see it and tell them yes or to wait until the other boy comes back from the bathroom.

They are still kindergartners but they in general are really catching on quickly to the raising their hands whe nthey are done instead of just crowding me and shoving their papers in my face while I look at some other kid's work. Still need work but much better considering today was day one!

Yeah, there are a few ways we get their attention both ones that my master teacher used and new ones I've used. They seem to have been used before since they understand them. I've use the 123 one and one where I say "If you can hear me do this..." I've also taken to just beating a rhythm on my legs or clapping or something and they just join in when they realize I'm doing it. I'll switch it up too.

Yeah, I'm working hard to build relationships with the kids but some require more of a relationship and more nurturing of a relationship. This boy who got in school suspension today was GREAT this mornining and then by centers time he was done. I gave hime tickets galore, and positive attention galore and everything and he got to go see the counselor to visit because he finished his work and everything. By lunch he was hitting kids and flipping chairs. Plus without a decent general control of the classroom I can't spend extra time with him because I need to put out fires and go help other kids too. As a student teacher I'm still learning to manage 20 5-6 year olds on my own and all so it's hard to get to those things too. I understand it needs to get done and I'm doing my best and i don't doubt that I'll get there but it takes time and practice. I've got a great head start with my Special Ed classes on behavior and becaue of that I understand the function of behavior and I'm slowly winning a kid over, and I've got my years of camp with the similar age groups, and the preschoolers, but at max I can have 10 by myself. I have double that and I can't physically put them in time out partially because they won't stay and I can't devote 45 mintues to a time out for one kid when I've got 19 others and no other teacher like at preschool. (Plus the preschooelrs spend most of their day that I was there free playing or at centers)

"I'm always pretty happy when I'm at camp with you!"