Hi!

In short: it depends on the camp, and the season. The 24/7 job idea doesn't end in the off season, and sometimes that means working long hours to meet deadlines and get things done.

For example, I work at a tiny camp in North Carolina, and am not solely a program director as much as that and a little bit of everything else. We currently don't have programs beyond about seven weeks in the summer. That said, we're expanding into more short-term programs and have an accreditation visit this summer, so right now we're working really long hours. 60 hour weeks right now are not uncommon, especially with traveling. It's 'go' season. That said, in the fall, we had a lot more flexibility and I would work even less than 40 hour weeks in anticipation for this and for some work-life balance.

In my opinion, taking time for work-life balance is important for yourself and for the business. It clears your mind and helps you be more productive when at work, and often other parts of your life can lead to great new ideas and innovations. So, it's important to make that time for yourself, even when you're really busy, and to use that time wisely especially since it's limited.

Best of luck!