1. What position will you be in at camp this coming summer?

It hasn't been offered yet, but I think I'm going to be WIT Director again!

2. Is there anything that you are anxious or nervous about for camp?

As I get older, it's harder to relate to the younger staff members sometimes.

3. What are you hoping to get out of camp?

I'm hoping to inspire another summer full of girls to be the best they can, and to become great staff members!

4. What do you expect from the support staff (camp director, assistant camp director, etc)?

I expect them to treat everyone fairly, and to follow through on their promises. To stay informed about what's going on, and help where they can.

5. If you're feeling stressed at camp, what is something that support staff could do to make you feel better?

I've been in that position, and I know it's not always easy. You can't please everyone. Honestly, when I'm feeling stressed I just need a little alone time. Not that I expect someone to come watch my unit for me while I run off by myself, but if I can just take an extra minute in the bathroom and breathe, it really helps.
The support staff can listen to my problems, and try to help in any way they can. Take me seriously. Acknowledge that I have a lot of experience and skill, and I don't often ask for help, so if I do, there's probably a major problem that needs attention fast.

6. For returning staff - do you have a positive experience with your support staff you could share?

I had an older camper once who was quiet and shy and sweet, but had a backbone of steel and wouldn't back down from what she wanted or follow certain rules or guidelines (argued about keeping her cell phone, complained she was too hot but wouldn't wear shorts, wouldn't trim her nails, etc.). After a few days she came up to me and said she had thought about it, and she was ready to go home. I was pretty sick of the attitude she'd been giving, and I snapped that it wasn't her decision. ...But then I told the camp director later, and she said, "Indigo, if you want her to go home, she can go home." ...And I realized that instead of making this a huge fight, we could all get what we wanted out of this situation.

7. For returning resident staff - what do you find to be the most challenging part of your job?

I haven't been unit staff for a few years, so that'll be an adjustment, but I think the most challenging thing is living and working closely with the other staff members. You have to rely on them to make the best decisions and take care of things, and... sometimes in the past, they haven't. As WIT Director, I'm alone with one group of my kids while the counselor is alone with the other group. All day. In the past I had to sit down with the campers and tell them that it was THEIR responsibility to follow the schedule even if the counselor wasn't ready when they needed to go.

8. What do you like to do to relax?

(at camp) I read, color, write, play video games, lie on the couch and listen to the radio... I make Stupid Sock Creatures sometimes. I talk with other staff members.
On my nights off I go out to eat, then I go to the farm supply store (to get interesting sodas and look at baby chicks!), Goodwill, Wal-Mart...
On session breaks I see movies and go shopping. Even if camp people are doing something fun, I try not to hang out with them, and I try to do the most un-camp things I can think of, to give myself a good break. ...And sleep, of course. Lots of sleep. By the end of the weekend, I'm feeling refreshed and ready to go back to camp!