We have a 5 step discipline program that I implemented at my camp several years ago that we run for ages 7-16. The program is utilized all over camp so its not designated to one particular area. First and foremost, I hire a counselor that deals solely with Discipline issues. I do this so none of my admins/direct line staff have to be pulled away. As the Camp Director I play a key component as well especially during the later steps.

Our 5 steps has a progression of one on one work that consist of redirecting/reflecting/reminding. This means during steps 1/2 they spend 1 to 2 hours with our behavior coordinator and during the 2 hours we redirect the campers by removing from the said area and take them to a quieter area, we then help them reflect on what they need to do different, and then we remind them about our behavior policy and what happens when they reach the third/fourth step of our program. The third and fourth step is when we involve a community service aspect and teach the campers the importance of giving back to the camp. We also use this time to get them to work with the hands so it can help them clear their mind and be more open to advice on what they need to change. Usually the third/fourth step last about 3 to 4 hours and is the time when the behavior coordinator bonds the most witht he camper. During the 5th step is when the camper are placed in our "last chance housing" which means they need to be one on one with our behavior coordinator for two days. Majority of our campers that reach the 5th step usually do well and are retunrned to their cabin after the two days.

Our program has decrease our behavior issues tremendously and also has helped many campers realize that we give them a fair amount of time to "get it right" or as our campers say time to "figure it out".

If you would like to talk about the finer details of this program. Please feel free to call me at 269 424-5272 or email at aperez@cyccamprosenthal.org

All the best,
Mr. Adam