I was once offered a job as a CIT Director at a GS camp. When explaining the job to me they made it clear that I would also be in the cabin with the girls supervising them. I would have my own room and bathroom but I would still be responsible for what happened inside the cabin and would be in there during rest period and cabin cleaning ect. There would be no female co counselor in the cabin. They explained that I would be expected to be in the cabin at least cabin care right after breakfast, rest period, and lights out time.

I ended up turning down the job because I felt uneasy with how it was presented to me. Over the last 15 years I have been in girls cabins before as a director. (I have also chased more than one bat or mouse from a cabin.) Just the idea of being a male in a cabin with girls every day made me feel uneasy. I was about to jump at the job because the pay was decent but the living conditions made my uneasy.

It maybe because of a experience early in my camping history where a staff member was falsely accused and even arrested. It took many months for the truth to come out and his name was cleared legally but always tarnished.

Now I have worked at camps that did cabin moms for young boys cabins. (5 and 6 year olds.) Where a female staff lived in her own room with privet bathroom and was teamed up with a male staff member. She was in the cabin at all times with the kids and it worked well. But I was 26 and these where 16 and 17 year old girls.

Now just in case you think I miss understood... I thought the same thing but they made it very clear how the cabin arrangement would work.

Would you work where you lived in the cabin with the opposite sex. Would you even work at a camp that was a solo sex camp of the opposite gender?

Last edited by LukeBK; 06/04/14 11:27 PM.