Wow, I too would be uneasy at that situation. I don't think I would take that job as a girl in a teen boy cabin or as a guy in a teen girl cabin. I think it's sad that there is more concern with guys in regards to girls than girl staff and boy campers since it happens both ways, and even among same sex. But, it still is more taboo and much quicker to accuse. It only takes 1 kid saying that anything inappropriate happens and the career is over even with clearing of charges.

Part of the reason I would not work with a teen boy camp is that I don't work well with teenagers, especially guys. I work best with younger kids. Actually, now that I say that, I worked with a male cocounselor in a boys special needs group ages 11-21, but I was there from breakfast to the end of evening programming. They put one of the male lifeguards in the cabin for nighttime and I slept in a staff cabin next to that cabin. Also, these kids had developmental delays that put their developmental age at somewhere around 8.

For the sake of argument though, I would work as a program staff at a male camp, but not as cabin staff. The second the kids realize that you "can't" go into the bathroom it becomes a place for wrongdoing. There are just too many situations that could happen, especially with no same gender co-counselor.

I have been a counselor for 6-9 year old boys multiple times. My camp has no real problem with it, especially if they need the male staff in the older units. These kids are still young enough to appreciate the "mom" at camp even if they would never say it! And it's not inappropriate at this age. They change in the cabin's bathroom or shower stall, or at the very least, in the bathroom area so I can't see them. But I do that with all my groups since there are windows in the cabin and because I just don't want any allegations of looking by me or the other campers, and it takes away the kids looking at each other's bodies and comparing or teasing as much as it can.

"I'm always pretty happy when I'm at camp with you!"