I do agree with you all but at the same time I don't. As a day camp counselor, you do get to know the kids personally even if you are not with them 24 hours a day. Working as a day camp counselor has been extremely rewarding and to me it has been life changing. What I tell people when they ask about what it is like working as a day camp counselor, all I can say is that you have to experience it for yourself. Personally, I love every minute of it. I feel if you are starting out working at a camp for the first time I highly recommend to start at a day camp. By doing this, you are getting the camp experience but you get a nice break in between which is really nice and those breaks in between camp days is time for you to get even more excited about what is going to be happening the next day. For me, no matter what mood I am in, when I get home from camp, I am always in a great mood and I always go right to bed so I can wake up for the next day (I don't care if it is 4:30pm). However, I do plan to work for an overnight camp. As a camper, I never attended a day camp, I always attended overnight camps, or those cheap camps they run in almost every town where you pay somewhere around $100 and go on bowling trips or movie theater trips everyday. I hope that by working at an overnight camp, I can get to know my campers more, which as you all have mentioned day camp workers being deprived of this, getting to know the campers is always the best part of camp. While working at a day camp, it is always hectic and it is extremely rare to have those moments when you're sitting around the camp fire sharing stories of past experiences which is the reason I want to work at an overnight camp. The 30 minute lunch period is not enough time for me to get to know my campers, there sure isn't any other time with all the chaos of an average day camp schedule.

Most days, I cannot tell you what the date is but I can tell you how many days until camp starts!!