Quote:
Originally posted by Buttons:
As long as the person that kid is talking to is a good counselor, and responds appropriately, why should it matter if their name is Poopy-Head?

A rose by any other name, and all that.
Because the entire relationship is based on dishonesty. You are trying to give the kids advice, but are withholding a key piece of information about yourself.

Quote:
your name does not define who you are. if that were true, then why am i not exaclty like the thousand other amys in the world.
Because you are Amy, along with all of your life experiences that go with it. To you, you are the real Amy....not the real Free Willy.

Quote:
My grandfather has gone by Bob since he met my grandmother a bazillion years ago, but his name is actually George, and he's not any less of himself for it.

What about people who go by middle names? are they trying to decive people so that no one will trust them?
That's a ludicrous, straw-person, fallacy if I ever saw one. Your name is not the word on your birth certificate, but is the word that you are called 365 DAYS A YEAR. Obviously, your grandfather's name is Bob (although that is not his government name). Nice try, though.

Quote:
Calico and Allison, although they look the same and have the same voice, are two very different people.
Everything Calico says and does has a basis in Alison's personal experiences. Furthermore, are we looking to teach our kids that they should have a dual-persona? You should be teaching that camp is a safe place where one can let-loose, and be who they really are...not who they wish to pretend to be.

To quote Mr. Carnegie again (and I truly hope everyone has heard of this name, and if you haven't, look him up): one's name is the word in the English language that they like the most. Some of the world's most successful leaders have had the skill of recognizing this and being able to remember thousands of names - and not relying on nicknames, but one's REAL NAME.

Does nobody remember the infamous quote of Mr. Derstrom? I've got a prize for whomever can come up with it.

The girl scouts should stick to tying knots, baking brownies, and selling cheap cookies...none of this personality change crap is necessary.

On a more serious note, I'd like to mention the most special part of your name. It is likely the first gift your parents ever gave you, and also represents one of the most important life decisions that will ever be made....but is something they make FOR YOU.