Yeah I have to agree Northwoods a lot of these defenses for camp names are a little strange to me, as well. CaitiSue, you're probably right that almost all of the people who disapprove of it have never bene part of it, but that's only natural. It's not easy to examine the negative aspects of a camp you work at for anybody, really. The basic argument in favor of them seems to simply be "Well I am more comfortable and have a different personality at camp, and thus the camp name." I just don't buy that argument; I still think it's like saying you feel that you can't be yourself without changing your name.

And Northwoods is right; why isn't a Calico or a Qui welcome in the outside world? I don't know about you, but I really am the same person at camp as I am outside camp. I don't change my personality at all. I think that one of the positive influences camp has had on me is that I AM more comfortable being myself to the general public. If I had been given a camp name at my first camp I might not feel the same; maybe I WOULD feel that my "camp" personality was separate and different from my real one.

Again, I am all in favor of camp nicknames. I think they can help build a community and a feeling of inclusiveness at a camp. I just don't agree with not telling your campers your real name at all. I think it does more harm than good and really just sends the wrong message. Obviously it's not an intentional thing, and it may be pretty subtle, but there it is.