so, while i understand that my grandfather was a bad argument, what I'm getting from the responce is that if i went by "Qui" every day for my entire life, that then my name would be Qui, regardless of what was one my birth certificate. But since i only go by it sometimes, I'm still actually Amy. but if i did go by Qui all the time, would my campers then still have trust issues with me, since my name isn't a 'real' name?

I don't believe that I'm the true Amy and it was sort of a last minute thing that i got named that anyways. I knew one counselor who was extreamly cool, and i knew her name was Amy, but that doesn't mean I like Amy as a name any better. It was never that my name isn't cool, i just dislike the sound of it.

I act differently at camp because they have a different set of expectations from me, and no matter how i try to act like that at home, people still react to their old expectations of me, and it becomes very difficult to change.

I do understand why the thought of never telling campers your real name is uncomfortable with people, and I don't really approve of people who lie and tell campers that their real name is...something else. But i don't think that it is lying when they know that your camp name is not your real name. but I also have a hard time believing that a camper will not trust me because i'm "withholding valuable information about myself." It's hard to understand when you don't have a camp name, or even a nick name, but the word that you choose to have your campers call you becomes your name, for a while at least. you sometimes even start to forget that it is a word other than your name, and so sometimes the campers don't even realize it.