I was using your logic, Canuck. You posted, "If a kid is having trouble and would like to talk about it, wouldn't it be right for them to know who you really are; not sugar plum fairy or Ursula?" and "Suppose a kid has problems at home and wants to talk with you abou it: is that the time for her to be talking to Sarah her counselor or to Snow White?" Often people DO come to this board with a problem about which they would like feedback...

I have question for you... you also posted, "Dale Carnegie, one of the foremost experts on human behaviour, wrote a whole chapter of his book on how one's name is that most important word to them. It is crucial for us to use names when we are dealing with people. However, it seems like camps ignore this in favour of tradition?" When a woman marries, is it a good idea for her to trade her maiden name for her husband's last name? If she opts to change her name, are we ignoring who that woman was, "in favour of tradition?"

To answer your questions, lots of children and staff are far more comfortable coming to me as camp director when they need help, than they would be if they addressed me by my name outside of camp. For years kids were willing to relate to me on a camp level (including use of my camp name) in a way that they would not relate to me in the classroom. At camp they could use my camp name; in the classroom they had to revert to more formal address. For those children, that camp name was helpful.

It has been my experience that camp names are fun for kids. Our practice is to tell kids our names at the end of the session, if they ask. Because I'm the director, kids and parents know my real name- it's in the camp brochure, in the parent handbook, etc. For some reason or other (and I don't know the reason) they still address me by my camp name. That's just something they associate with camp, and they enjoy doing it. :-)

Camp is not a place; it is a way of life.