I have to say I'm a bit surprised at all the controversy surrounding camp names. Lol. I work at Girl Scout camp, and never have attended camp where there aren't camp names. I am myself, through and through - it doesn't matter what the kids call me. They can call me Fluke, they can call me Sarah. They regularly call me Flukie or Flukina. I'll answer to any of those. I have a lot of campers that call me Fluke at camp and Sarah outside of camp. That's cool too. At camp, it's slightly less likely that I'll answer to Sarah because generally there are 3-4 of us on staff. It's a bit confusing to know who they are talking too! (As a camper, I was in a unit with 3 other Sarahs - we ended using nicknames the whole week to avoid that problem!)

I've never "refused" to tell a camper my name, nor am I forbidden. I introduce myself to parents as Fluke, and explain that at camp we use nicknames - but that my real name is Sarah and offer to answer any questions that they might have. I have yet to have a camper demand to know my real name - most of mine seem to have a good time trying to come up with what they think your name is by using clues from other campers or staff. At the end of the week, they generally present their "evidence". Returning campers help newbies figure out names. The older campers often talk about how to pick the perfect camp name - one that fits their personality and who they are.

I never have thought of using a camp name to take on a new persona - I do know counselors that believe that though, and it always surprises me. I've very active in the Girl Scout program outside of camp, and Sarah is exactly the same as Fluke! For me, it's just something fun added into camp - same as campfire traditions and dining hall traditions. Sure, traditions change over time. Who knows, camp names might eventually be phased out as well. I'll still be going to camp though - doesn't matter what you call me!