Gizmo, I disagree and feel that the issue of camp names isn't unimportant. If it was, I wouldn't be discussing this. The issue of "some traditions suck..." you are significantly oversimplifying something and that's contrary to the purpose of discourse. Moreover, the mentality that you oversimplified was in response to the main proponents of camp names who, for the most part, only seem to believe that camp names are a good idea because they are part of a tradition.

The issue of traditions has been raised in a seperate thread but I'd like to know what you feel is wrong with the "some traditions suck" idea? The fact is that some traditions are not good. Traditions of hazing, for example, is not a good thing. Some camps have initiations that involve hazing. So I'm left to think that since you don't feel that a tradition can suck that hazing must be okay since it's a tradition.

I don't believe that every tradition has to be deeply meaningful. Traditions add to the texture of camp and I love the meaningless traditions. But I really don't know what your problems is with examining the traditions that may be potentially negative to see if it's time to eliminate them. My sentiment and other's sentiments regarding tradition was simply posted in response to the "well, it's a tradition" mentality.